_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Bronco A13, worth the money?
Invictus
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
Howdy chaps,

I recieved the above kit (well I bought it to save the familiy's embarrassment at not knowing what a A13 is let alone where to get the kit from) for Christmas and have been building it over the last few days.

Has anyone else built this kit yet? If so what do you people think of it as a kit?? I just feel that there has not been the same level of hype that met the release of Tamiyas Char B and UE carrier in 2006/2007 respectivly. Also, where are the after market accessories?

I appreciate the kit is quite extensive, and I cannot see much need for anything beyond an early gun barrel and perhaps a set of desert skirts plus spaced turret armour for those who wish to model a later version.

There was a rapid follow up by after market manufacturers with Char B1 and Flamm panzer sets, along with detail sets etc, but is there a level of embarrassment about the A13? later versions saw service with the Germans supporting Flame thrower tanks in Russia, so there is scope for making a Beute panzer from the A13!

Please prove me wong and say that there is indeed a few sets available now?

Regards Ian:O)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Ian,

I got mine from Lucky Model and even with the shipping it was still cheaper than buying it UK side.

As for the kit, my personal opinion is yes. The big isses is the tracks but Bronco have released a set to correct the fault I think.

The tank has limited possibilities given the version released but in that sense it is even more unique as it can be used in France by the BEF, so I'm glad they started with this early version.

Here's the link to the review by Terry on PMMS:

http://perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/bronco/cb35025.html

and the one here on site

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3610

and the one on ML

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/britain/a13cruisersz_1.html

As to AM sets, apart from the tracks I mentioned I'm not sure what else has come out yet.

Enjoy the build of this rather unique kit, and don't worry to much about the hype, call it British reserve lol, lol.

Al
Jimmie
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi All,

I also intend to get this kit sometime, and intend to model a Beute version used by Flamm Pz Abt 100 alongside Flamingos. However, to be sensible I should build the Cromwell loft insulation first......

Thanks for the user comments and links, the sort of thing I need to make sensible purchases at Trucks 'N' Tracks.... (Now stop laughing!) (That is if I escape the MAFVA Zone of course.....)

Lots of traders have already booked for the MAFVA Nationals, so looking good already.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you All!

Paul Middleton
MAFVA Liaison Officer.
Invictus
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
Points to note when assembling the kit:

The front nose plate is too deep and needs sanding to allow it to fit snugly. I trimmed .5mm or less off of each edge and then reinstead the chamfer and the plate fitted brilliantly.

You will need to fill the area around where the sides of the noseplate and side plates should meet. this is minimal work and will not break your heart.

Due to the slight slope of the final drive housings (caused by the moulding process) that accept the etched brass plates that curve, be extra careul not to kink the brass as you bend it round the plastic. I applied enough glue to hold the brass on the inner edge and also fill the outer edge while carefully wrapping it around the wider edge of the plastic area. My appologies for the complicated way of describing it:O(

Be careful how you assemble the road wheels as the fit is a bit loose and possbly becuse I assembled them without their inner grommets (Damn) Will have a look to se if I have made a feax pas:O(

The drivers position is a bit fiddly but will go together well enough. The location slots need to be removed from the side and rear plates and the edge of the hole where the driver would sit could do with tidying up to at least remove flash and such like. I reccomend fitting the plates that join the superstructure to the drivers position to the drivers position and allowing the glue to set with the plates set at perfect right angles.

Regards Ian

Crusader001
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi all,

also building this kit as we speak. Not bad, bit like an Italeri kit. I replaced the kit sprocket with those from an Italeri Crusader. The etched parts have beaten me in places but generally not bad either. The tracks are not good though. They are way too tight. I replaced them with Friuel metal ones for the Crusader. I would like to see the Cruiser Mk.IV which Bronco must surely release, then an A9, A10 and a new Valentine. I'd be a very happy chappy

Regards all
Lee
Invictus
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Oh that would be a dream come true to see the early cruisers:O)

Then an after market set of Bus engine and turret interior?

Perhaps I am asking way too much:O)

Regards Ian:O)
 _GOTOTOP