stove (tamiya) used by DAK in Afrika?
musicwerks
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Dear friends,

I am doing an Afrika Korp diorama with a sleeping soldier taking shelter near a vehicle. I am thinking of adding a stove near him (I heard it is cold at night in the desert?)...

I wonder if the stove used in this tamiya field briefing set is too late for DAK?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/35mm_img/35212m.jpg

Thanks
Musicwerks
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
A couple of things make the stove implausible.- I doubt either side wasted space and petrol carrying stoves around. Secondly where would the fuel come from. I can't see soldiers collecting camel dung to fire their stove. Those stoves are useless in the open unless you're right on top of them.

Just my opinion but I think a stove would look out of place in a desert dio.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
I think they would have tents to use stoves in? I don't know specifically about North Africa, but usually it tends to getty pretty chilly in the desert at night. At least I wouldn't want to spend a night without at least a good sleeping bag.

That stove in the kit looks similar to those we got used to in the army, btw.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC

In my opinion this one is very plausible. I've spent quite a few nights outdoors in the desert and yes, it can get very cold. As far as whether or not either side would bother to carry such an item around I've seen pictures of soldiers traveling with everything from washtubs to phonographs.
Remember, many soldiers were apt to have to dig in for awhile and would surely want to make any stay in any location more comfortable. Besides, it was always more fun to carry something like this if you weren't supposed to have it! Just my thoughts.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
Wouldn't smoke in open desert country give away your position like a big flashing neon arrow? Just a thought...
 _GOTOTOP