_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMD-3
modell-byggaren-122
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi,

I would like to build the latest active Russian Airborne infantry tank. I know not of a production kit of this variant of the BMD. It is equipped with a turret similar to the BMP-2. I have a BMP-2 from Zvezda so the turret is not going to present too much of a problem. For those who don't know what it looks like:

/Josh
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
No kits, no plans for kits, and no accurate BP's that I know of. Sorry, but the DML BMP-2 turret is not as accurate for the work needed to make the BMD-3. Sorry.

If you find out any other information on, say, accurate Blueprints of the BMD-3, drop a note here...
modell-byggaren-122
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Jacques,

I will use the Zvezda turret, but I think I will have to scratchbuild the most of the hull though. I rekon I could use the running gear too for that matter. Oh and also, I have seen some BMD-3s with grenade launchers mounted instead of the ATGM, must be for urban areas where there is no real need for an ATGM unless you meet something big like a MBT. Any ideas? I am not too keen on scratch building but If it has to be done, then I will have a crack at it though. By the shape of the front hull, it reminds me of an MT-LB. Should I get the SKIF kit and cut off the front hull or something? I am not really looking for a 100% accurate BMD but I want something that looks like one.

/Josh
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:11 PM UTC
As far as I know the turret on the BMD-3 is the same as the BMP-2 ICV.
I have seen some pics with and without ATGW mounted on top but all had smoke lauchers on the side.
Try getting the BMD-2 kit, Zvezda and Skif have these models, maybe Eastern Express but I don't recomend it, I had some lousy kits from EE lately...
Look forward to see your progress...
talib
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No kits, no plans for kits, and no accurate BP's that I know of. Sorry, but the DML BMP-2 turret is not as accurate for the work needed to make the BMD-3. Sorry.

If you find out any other information on, say, accurate Blueprints of the BMD-3, drop a note here...

There are plans on BMD-3/ Miniarm is going to produce it next year in resin. Same story with accurate BMP-2

If you need walkaround,check this links, you will find my walkaround there

http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=884
[urlhttp://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=885[/url]
http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=886

also there are walkaround of airborne AT vehicle Sprut SD
cggkevin
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
Don't know about accuracy, but AEF makes a conversion for the DML/Zeveda BMP2 to BMD3. It might save you some scrathbuilding.

regards,
kevin
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
The problem with the AEF kit is I have heard NOTHING about it at all...nothing, and it has been around for a while. So I would not really consider it until you hear something about it.

Remember, the DML/Zvezda/Revell/Italeri BMP-2 turret is not terribly accurate either.

The grenade launcher setup sounds like the setup for the BMP-2G...it has a added 30mm AGL setup added to the left rear of the turret... Here is the link to the BMP-2 page of conversions, it is kit 108
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 05:10 PM UTC
You will save yourself time and money by not opting for AEF set. It's built from DML pieces (Suspension arms, road wheels etc), and ignores fact that BMP-2 and BMD-3 have completely different hulls.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:49 PM UTC
I always wondered how AEF could issue a conversion for a BMD-3 starting with a BMP-2. Apart the turret, the rest of it is really different but as the AEF site does not show any pictures of the kit, it's hard to tell more.

When I have time, I'll post a review about their BMP-2 interior set I got for Xmas.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 02:36 PM UTC
http://www.miniarm.com/ just announced full resin BMD-3 kit. Might be a good alternative to scratch building a maquette based on oversimplified projections from the web.
modell-byggaren-122
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
it is nice to know that someone is finally making a kit, wether it resin or injection plastic.
Personally I hate working with resin, unless it is a figure. I'll probarbly use the Zvezda turret and the BMP-2 wheels. (to tell ya the absoloute truth, it is the super glue, the small when you cut the resin and breathing in the shavings I am afraid of. I do try to take precautions!)

Oh, and thanks for the walkarounds. They should prove useful once I get a hold of the Miniarm kit when it is unleashed!

When it does come out and I get one, I will inform you and stick it on Track-link and missing lynx.

/Josh
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:46 AM UTC
Sweet, but they have been showing/talking about the BMP2 now for well over a year, and nothing has been seen of it.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
First, I have it on good authority that Miniarm is having some trouble getting investment money to actually make the new kits. Apparently it is quite a bit more expensive to make the full resin kits than previously thought.

I find it strange that they have announced T-80B and T-80U turrets but are they going to be put on??? Seems like a waste without hull conversions...and no word on them...
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

First, I have it on good authority that Miniarm is having some trouble getting investment money to actually make the new kits. Apparently it is quite a bit more expensive to make the full resin kits than previously thought.

I find it strange that they have announced T-80B and T-80U turrets but are they going to be put on??? Seems like a waste without hull conversions...and no word on them...

What ever happened to the rumor about one of the large manufactuers (Tamiya??) doing a new T-80?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What ever happened to the rumor about one of the large manufactuers (Tamiya??) doing a new T-80?

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? Where did you read about that?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
I guess it would be cool if Tamiya came out with a proper T-80B, but I am sure it would cost $80 and then you could buy the $20 engine screen accessory, the $25 turned ammo set...etc. (Ok, yeah, I am griping a bit...)
 _GOTOTOP