_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Tamiya Sturmtiger
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Pat thank you for that info I will take a look. John I was planing on a diorama with a truck delivering fuel and ammo, with that in mind would you still go for the Tamiya ammo or would you get the royal models set?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Darren since you are planing a set I think either the Tamyia or the Royal Models will fit.

I don't know the royalmodels set,
The tamyia set has 6 rockets (3 with igniter on 3 without it), decals for the gravity center and some german warning text info. It costed me around 15 €.

Good luck with your build, Hope it turns into another great dio.!
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IIRC there were one or two that had no Zimmerit.

I'm not an expert, but as far as I remember, those (1 initially, 2 more later on?) were prototypes fielded in summer 1944 during the Warsaw Uprising. That however means some differencies against the production version (like rubber wheels, barrel, Feifel filters). It's been also speculated whether or not the captured "Kubinka" Sturmtiger is actually one of those prototypes refitted.

HTH

-A-
tonydi
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi,
While I do appreciate that you have taken the time and trouble to review Tamiya's 1:35th Sturmtiger, I do feel that you were unduly harsh on what is by definition, no longer a state of the art model. It should be seen in the background of the era that it was manufactured, and while no means perfect ( what kit is?), it was innovative for its age, and should be rated as such and not in comparison to the latest wonders from Dragon or even Tamiya itself. I dare say in comparison to Tamiya's Pz II ausf A,B, C and IS II it comes horribly short.
Appreciate the Sturmtiger for what it is and was, a 20th century kit and one of the first in Tamiya's bold move to give us better and more accurate kits.

Cheers
Tony Dill
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Tony I am not sure where I have been harsh in this review of Tamiya's Sturmtiger, I am very pleased with the purchase of this kit and only knocked it in 2 areas (the poor representation of the MG and no rifling in the main weapon. I even made a point of commending them for taking the time to advise Zimm be added and where, and that the addition of engine intake grills would improve the look of the finished model. I opted to buy this model over the AFV offering because I didn’t like the look of the plastic used for the AFV kit and the use of rubber band tracks (this was before I decided to go with AM tracks). I am really pleased with the product and gave what I felt was a far appraisal of this kit. Please point out areas you feel I have been overly critical of and I will look at that/those areas again.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
The MG might not be as big of a problem. I've built the kit, with it's left side cut open (I had upgraded the interior somewhat with PE, and resin), and replaced the MG, installled radios, and everything -nothing of which can be seen either from the loading hatch or from the hole on the other side... The transmission, and the driver's position is worth working on, but the mortar simply covers the MG.
If you want to build it with the superstructure unbolted and removed (a dream project of mine with the Royal Model interior), it would be another matter, but as it is, the radio operator's station is simply not visible -so it's really not a problem. (Unless you cut the hole on the hull on that side, that is.)
The superstructure could be more textured, and Tamiya should have included the PE grills. Otherwise it's a great kit.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Here is a picture of the Royal Models 38cm ammunition.

and at Ł7.99 I feel this is a fair price.
tonydi
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 08:18 PM UTC
Darren,
I know that we can all get very worked at times, but the impression I got was that you had found the Tamiya kit lacking although as you say you only really knocked it in 2 areas. I also got the impression that it was being compared to current offerings and feel itshould be seen in perspective of what it really was and when it was produced, and as such it does a really fine job. And what kit is actually perfect. I can find fault with the most expensive kit that I have from the best manufactures. Its what we expect really and are prepared to put up with. I do agree that if I were to build it again I would still build it again as opposed to the AFV offering which I have and yes, the resin interior is neat but not the be all. Agreed, the Italeri offering is not even in the race.
Yes, I do love the kit and I know that when it originally came out it was slated for facts like the non-existant rifling, no p/e engine deck screens, simplification of crane and close-in weapon, but with theirTiger family Tamiya had made the quantum jump from their earlier toylike offerings, ie motorized.
Anyway, Darren, that's my 2 cents worth. I do like these Tamiya Tigers and guess so do you
Tony
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
As I said Tony I am very happy with what is in the box, I didn't knock them over the zimm or engine deck grills as there are not many kits that would come with either or both of these items, Tamiya have gone the extra step and highlighted the need of one and where to put it and recommended the other be used. I have knocked them for 2 areas that I feel should be better even considering the release date and level of ability at that time.

all that said my purpose of doing a review of this kit was to give a fair assessment of what is an older kit that is still in production and readily available, and to make anyone who is considering purchasing this product aware of:

1. What is in the box.
2. What the general quality of the product is.
3. Any weak areas that I feel are present.

Please use the "You review this item" button at the bottom of the review to add any observations you feel are needed or that I may have missed. I have not taken any offence at any of your comments here, and I look forward to any additions you can make to the review I have done.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC
Darren,

Just got up to speed with our build.
I'll look into the Osprey book, thx for the heads up on that.
There's a YouTube vid of this monster firing it main gun, 30 sec. clip if I remember, WOW!!! is the word.
You can see the 38cm round leave the weapon and the back blast is nuts!!
I don't know if you've seen the vid. or not. FYI.
Can't wait for some more pix's.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
I am awaiting delivery of the AM items and will admit I am itching to get started on it.
 _GOTOTOP