_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British LVT- Neptune
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi every one

I'm looking for pictures and dimensions on the Neptune. I have found some on the net but not good views to get dimensions for a scratch build.

Just found on the net Classic Military Vehicle Magazine #37 has an aticle in it. Where do you purchase it?

I believe there are some pictures and article in Wheels and Tracks magazine in issue #34 and #36. If anyone has these issues and can verify the information. I greatly appreciate it. I have looked on the net with no luck.

Thank you

Ralph
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi ralph,

i don't have any pics of Neptune, but check you PM's.

Al
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC
Someone, I forget who, has scratched this on Military Modelling?
Also covered in Futters Funnies, I'll check my refs...
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone, I forget who, has scratched this on Military Modelling?

Also covered in Futters Funnies, I'll check my refs...

OOPS! my bad,
Futters Refs & old Mil Mod articles arefor Terrapin (8 wheeled DUKW-alike)

I have seen a build article on the Neptune, (LVT4-ish-alike) but can't remember who or where.....
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Ralph-- I am trying to follow this discussion. What is throwing me is the use of the word "Neptune." I do not think you are referring to the amphibious phase of Overlord (operation Neptune). I thought the British used LVTs in taking the Channel ports and the Schedlt Estuary after the breakout from Normandy. They certainly used them to cross the Rhine in 1945. Didn't Hobart of the British 79th Armored Division employ LVT4s? Did you check under Hobart Funnies for any examples? I think Bovington (among others) has an LVT 4...it may be in the 79th Armored color scheme.
DJ
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph-- I am trying to follow this discussion. What is throwing me is the use of the word "Neptune." I do not think you are referring to the amphibious phase of Overlord (operation Neptune). I thought the British used LVTs in taking the Channel ports and the Schedlt Estuary after the breakout from Normandy. They certainly used them to cross the Rhine in 1945. Didn't Hobart of the British 79th Armored Division employ LVT4s? Did you check under Hobart Funnies for any examples? I think Bovington (among others) has an LVT 4...it may be in the 79th Armored color scheme.
DJ

The Brits were developing their own LVT like vehicle which they called the Neptune. it looked a bit like the LVT 3 and I believe they briefly served post WW2. The Terrapin which was an 8 wheel drive carrier like the DUKW served with 79 AD during the Scheldt operations.
Al
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:43 AM UTC
Al-- thank you for the clarification.
DJ
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
Thank you every one for the reply

I'm in contact with some one and hopefully will have the information that I need in a week or two.

The Neptune was a British development of the LVT in late 1943 to 44 to get of the lend lease of the US built LVT. It never saw action in WW2 and was used post-war in Egypt. resembled the LVT-4 and had the engine in the floor, given it a larger cargo area. The torsion elastic suspension was different on the road wheels. The tracks and drive sprockets where the same as the LVT-4.

I think this will make a nice addition to my collection of scratch built LVT's.

I have more scratch builds to add to my web page some day. http://community.webshots.com/user/scratchbuilder

Best regards,

Ralph

_GOTOTOP