_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Italeri Crusader mk III
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
I picked up the above kit yesterday along with a set of Accurate Armour wheels and the Verlinden AA turret; I've got the Eduard PE set on order as well as some Ultracast figures for the crew, is there any other AM stuff I need? Also can anyone suggest an appropriate set of markings for this vehicle ca. 1944?
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up the above kit yesterday along with a set of Accurate Armour wheels and the Verlinden AA turret; I've got the Eduard PE set on order as well as some Ultracast figures for the crew, is there any other AM stuff I need? Also can anyone suggest an appropriate set of markings for this vehicle ca. 1944?

Hi Matthew,

I am not sure about the AM stuff but I am pretty sure the Crusader III wasn't in frontline service in 1944. I don't think they were used after the North African campaign. It was pretty much obsolete by then.

I know that some were converted them into gun tractors for the 17lb gun.

If i am wrong I should be corrected shortly.

Jeff
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:34 AM UTC
I have pics of the crusader III in France summer of 44, specifically the AA version, though due air superiority, they show little action, which is fine as I plan to saw the just relaxing
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have pics of the crusader III in France summer of 44, specifically the AA version, though due air superiority, they saw little action, which is fine as I plan to saw the just relaxing

Whoops....I read your post too fast. Thats what I get when I try to be on this site and have a 3 year old having a meltdown in the room at at the same time. I missed the part about the AA turret. I take it you are doing a conversion then.

I thought you meant the gun tank. Sorry about that.

I guess for decals you could always get some from somebody who built the actual Italeri Crusader AA kit and has leftovers. I think it came with 3 options.

Good luck with your project.

Jeff

DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
Matthew,

You might want to check with Archer to see if they have decals appropriate for this version.
In the book. "From D-Day to VE-Day The Canadian Soldier" page 18, it shows the 22nd Armoured Regiment TO&E, The Anti-aircraft troop had 7 crusader III 20mm tanks in each armoured regiment.
Now I'm not sure if they would carry the regimental number in this case a white number 52 in a red square or the red/blue of the Royal Canadian Artillery?
Good luck with your build and hope you post your build once completed.
Darryl
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
Jeff it happens
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
Darryl, That's exactly what I needed, thanks
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Happy to have helped
Darryl
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
Archer has a set with the regimental number, unfortunately, no one has in stock at the moment. I do have another question, would this vehicle have carried the divisional sign, an oak leaf on a colored back ground (green I think), also?
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 02:56 PM UTC
Matthew,
The 4th Canadian Armoured Div used a green coloured patch.Sometimes the vehicles had the patches with a yellow/gold maple leaf. The 1st Canadian Army, 1st Canadian Corps, 2nd Canadian Corps, 1st Armoured Brigade and the 2nd Armoured Brigade used different coloured rectangles with a maple leaf centred on them.
So if you are facing the vehicle, you would have unit markings on the left side, the divisional patch on the right. If facing the rear of the vehicle the unit marking will be on the left, and the divisional markings on the right. Now I am only going by what's in the book I mentioned before. Of course I would be happy to hear from those much more knowledgeable than I.
Darryl
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 03:00 PM UTC
Of course I meant a maple leaf Thanks for the rest of the info. I've meant to pick that book up
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Curious as to why you didn't just buy the Italeri Crusader antiaircraft tank kit? It's been available for a couple of years, now. Later this year, they're going to offer the 40 mm version, too. Should be lots easier than the old Verlinden resin thingy.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matthew,
The 4th Canadian Armoured Div used a green coloured patch.Sometimes the vehicles had the patches with a yellow/gold maple leaf. The 1st Canadian Army, 1st Canadian Corps, 2nd Canadian Corps, 1st Armoured Brigade and the 2nd Armoured Brigade used different coloured rectangles with a maple leaf centred on them.
So if you are facing the vehicle, you would have unit markings on the left side, the divisional patch on the right. If facing the rear of the vehicle the unit marking will be on the left, and the divisional markings on the right. Now I am only going by what's in the book I mentioned before. Of course I would be happy to hear from those much more knowledgeable than I.
Darryl

Hey guys,
Here's a few sites with all the info you may want regarding Canadian Formation and Arm of Service (AoS) markings:

http://www.rcaca.org/En/indexLM.asp?ID=11
http://www.armouredacorn.com/index.html
http://milifax2003.tripod.com/home03.html

Cheers

jjumbo
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Curious as to why you didn't just buy the Italeri Crusader antiaircraft tank kit? It's been available for a couple of years, now. Later this year, they're going to offer the 40 mm version, too. Should be lots easier than the old Verlinden resin thingy.

It was a club raffle prize I originally planned to add it to my growing stash of Lend-lease vehicles, but the Crusader is one of the few British tanks that did not see even limited service on the Eastern Front; otherwise I wouldn't have picked it up as I am not an armor guy
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thanks John
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi Matthew,

Just in case you want a gun tank here's one in Sicily/italy

These were still in use in Italy well into 1943.

The AA version is a good opton but don't forget Italeri have it in kit form. You could use the Crusader Mk III kit with an AA conversion and do a Crusader Gun Tractor

AL
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matthew,

Just in case you want a gun tank here's one in Sicily/italy

These were still in use in Italy well into 1943.

The AA version is a good opton but don't forget Italeri have it in kit form. You could use the Crusader Mk III kit with an AA conversion and do a Crusader Gun Tractor

AL

With all of the assistance I've been getting on this I hope this doesn't turn into me buying every pz IV I mean Crusader on the market Actually that's a really cool pic thanks BTW, how did you find that pic I can never find anything on the IWM website
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Matthew,

On IWM site go into the tab at the top for Photographs.

In the Keyword type: North Africa

Colour/B&W Choose: Colour

Period: Choose: Second World War

and click on search

You can search on the country in colour or B & W, I wasn't looking for anything specific when I came across this one, just getting a feel for the setting. This one is actually on the drive to Tunis I just couldn't remember

If you have the photo number you can search on that or on something general Like Sherman Tanks or Churchill Tanks.

I quite often find stuff by luck rather than specific searches.

Hope that helps, there are stacks of great reference pics and sometimes they just start an idea.

Al
captnenglish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Thank you kind sir
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 11:26 AM UTC
Thanks Alan for the search tips, nice picture that I have never seen before.

Darryl
 _GOTOTOP