_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragons Firefly hybrid
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi chaps
I have the above kit and would like to know if it needs anything doing to it to make it more accurate or is it ok as is.
Many thanks
Matt Edwards
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi chaps
I have the above kit and would like to know if it needs anything doing to it to make it more accurate or is it ok as is.
Many thanks
Matt Edwards

Hey Matt,
Do you mean this one ??

http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=222001

If it's the old Imperial Series kit with the extra high bustle turret included, it's not bad but it's certainly not up to current standards.
I'm away from home and can't check my resources or the kit in my stash but I think the road wheels and suspension may need upgrading.
And, IIRC, the original kit's cast hull section looked like a teenager with a bad case of acne.
Overly rough and pockmarked, you'll need to use some Mister Surfacer to smooth out the cast section a bit.
I'll give you some more details when I get home later tonight.
Cheers

jjumbo
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Matt, drop me a PM on this site. The old DML hybrid hull can certainly be made nice, but there is a lot to correct. I'll write you a serious dissertation on what needs to be fixed (I'm converting one into an Argentine Firefly Ic Repotenciado with minerollers). Most of the fixes are straightforward and not intrinically difficult, but there is a lot to do to bring it up to current standards. HTH,
Greg
ice32
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi matt i have two of these and i have built one and i have to say its a fairly easy kit to put together but my advice is to change the wheels and the track as the wheels have no rear to them and the tracks are terrible, so many fiddly bits.
But apart from that it is a nice model.
Richard
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:42 PM UTC
Thanks very much guys.
All the best Matt E
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi chaps
Many thanks
Matt Edwards

Clean up the overly textured cast components with some Tamiya putty. Depending on when the kit was issued, it may have the late style suspension (copied from the Italeri kit), which was only seen on very late composite hulls. This is the boxing with two turrets in the box.
The recent reissue with one low bustle turret has the more common straight arm suspension and Dragon's improved Firefly turret, which corrects the position of the opening in the turret front as well as the problem with the turret shape beneath the bustle seen on earlier kits.
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Thanks mate.
Matt E
 _GOTOTOP