How to paint moss and algae ?
Mudid68
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hello,
I would like to paint moss and algae in a dio but I do not succeed in getting the right green color. Is there anyone who can help me ? Thanks in advance.
Cheers
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Color is pure experimentation. Mix it and test spray. Set aside some natural material to test on. Paint will absorb and change a bit on pourous material.
I would airbrush these types of material. Easier to control quantity and coverage.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
When I paint moss or small leaves for tropical scenes, I paint with a brush. Several coats are neccessary to make sure the colour is fully absorbed and the material is saturated (to avoid the moss/leaf from 'sucking in' the colour).

It depends what sort of green colour you are trying to achieve. For tropical foliage, I use cheap student acrylic colours. I mix about 70% lime green with 20% brown with 10% yellow. This gives the material that bright green colour typical of most tropical broad leaved plants.

Hope this helps,
Chas
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 02:23 PM UTC
For moss or an accumulation of algae, I use really fine woodland scenics ground foam shoved down in sidewalk cracks or streets , the base of buildings, etc.Once its glued in place , I soak it with variuos shades of green thinned paint, dark green for old slime or algae and light, almost yellowish green for newer, around the perimeter and higher areas where moisture would dissipate faster, good luck
Mudid68
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 08:42 PM UTC
Thanks for your answers.
Francisco
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Salut,

For darker grass, Tamiya Olive Drab + Desert Yellow is a very good starting point.
For lighter green grass, Nato Green + Yellow works very well too.

Francisco
 _GOTOTOP