_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftan in Westduetschland
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
Well I got my first Tamiya Tank kit a few days ago and I love it. This in my chieftan that ran in west germany in the 70's and 80's I think. counld'nt find an exact year for it. But Its Dark green eith a black wash and some rust and oil stains applied as well to key areas. Is there any thing else i should add fix or take away?

marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
Looks good,

Did you change/ add anything to the kit?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
The '22C' call signs on the side skirts are incorrect.....sorry.

They are for a Chieftain based at BATUS...British Army Training Unit Suffield...at Suffield, Alberta, Canada......not West Germany.

Plus with the '22C'......you have conflicting call signs....on the back of the NBC system you have '0C'......that is a call sign of a different tank.
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
I added the attena armor box on the right side that ive seen in the references to the turret. And I took off the 22 c decal. I guess I mixed up my decal application pics. oops. thanks for the heads up.
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
The first thing that came up to my mind was: "Never use black for a wash". This really tears your model down.

Lars
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:59 AM UTC
the black wash was used around panel lines and crevices to make them look dark nd like actual panel lines, im gonna follow up the black wash with a brown wash next for added dirt and grime.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I added the attena armor box on the right side that ive seen in the references to the turret.

I am pretty sure that the antenna box...for the Clansman radio system....was added a bit later than the Chieftan Mk you have built.....there were additional changes to the rear of the turret that would be present with the visible Clansman radio antenna mounts. Not a big deal....live and learn.
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Well I went back over the kit with a brown wash over the black one. Looks more dirty than accenting the shadows. The tracks were done by first scuffing the pads, then painting them black followed by misting of red oxide primer. then I dry brushed some sliver to show where the metal meets metal, then some black was applied where the padded wheels meet the tracks. went back over the pads with some flat black, after all this i applied a light tan wash follwed by a brown wash again. Hope they turned out ok let me know what else i should do to this bad boy before i do the pigment dusting Should i apply a filter or just apply the flat and then dust it

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:50 PM UTC
For a comprehensive tweaks list for the Tamiya kit, go to:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/message/1048708503/Here+you+go+-++from+Robert+Lockie
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The first thing that came up to my mind was: "Never use black for a wash". This really tears your model down.

Lars

Still disagree with you there. A black wash has its place, it just has to be used sparingly and controlled. An absolute like "Never use black for a wash" is ridiculous.

Good job on the Chieftan so far.
 _GOTOTOP