_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rumour Control - AFV Club Churchill AVRE
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Subject to official confirmation I just picked this up on ML. Now how many do I need

link to item:

http://www2.stevenshobby.com:5641/si/ViewPicture.asp?productid=421729

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:37 AM UTC
6-7 maybe ? :D:D

how many else are gona spring out of the wood work ?

great finally some more british armor !!!!

il have to gwet me ones of these too

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
Yes,

I do hope someone is not having an early 1st April

Al
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
april great! means i can get my other stuff finished!

Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC
Oh Yeah AFV club!

Hopefully the first of numerous marks and variations to come!

James
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh Yeah AFV club!

Hopefully the first of numerous marks and variations to come!

James

hi James,

my thoughts too.

Al
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
someone please call the paramedics! In my excitement at this announcement I think I swallowed my tounge!!!!! Gotta have one (or 2)!!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

someone please call the paramedics! In my excitement at this announcement I think I swallowed my tounge!!!!! Gotta have one (or 2)!!

Me too !!!!
It's an obvious follow up to their Churchill Mk. III.
Can only hope that they do a Mk. I, II, IV, V and VI plus any number of the upgraded later Mk's.
Cheers Al !!!

jjumbo
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
Oh yes!! Very cool!

My favorite version of the Churchill!!

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Subject to official confirmation I just picked this up on ML. Now how many do I need

link to item:

http://www2.stevenshobby.com:5641/si/ViewPicture.asp?productid=421729

Al

You guys do know this is a MK III AVRE and NOT the more Common Mk IV AVRE? The Mk III AVRE is seldom photographed and the only pics I have seen in mainstream are in Fortins British Tanks in Normandy.

I am not down on this release (in fact the opposite), just pointing out this is not the mainstream AVRE seen in Normandy and elsewhere.
Keep them coming AFV
Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:25 PM UTC
This second, i'm uploading a full batch of images of it - looking VERY good indeed...
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 01:52 AM UTC
I fels the wind fall out of my sails for an instant at your revelation regarding the mark...however..and I ask because I dont know the answer..would it be difficult to convert a Mk.III to a Mk.IV?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Pictures aside, both Churchill Mk IIIs and Mk IVs were converted and used by 79th Amrd Div on D Day and throughout the following campaign. Conversions were carried out by REME wksps and MG Cars Ltd at Abingdon.

I shall see if I can find some numbers for the different types of vehicles produced. The Mk III had the existing 6pdr angular welded turret converted to take the Petard.

Great news indeed

Al

Edit

I did find some info here:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-vetscor/1093695/posts

Armored Vehicle Royal Engineers. A Petard 29cm caliber mortar was fitted to turret. Fired 40lb bomb 80 yards. 180 available by D-Day. 1st Assault Brigade of 79th Armored Division. 574 more were converted. Some were equipped to care fascines and CIRD for mine-clearing.

I've emailed the RE Museum tro see if they might be able to help on production numbers..

Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I fels the wind fall out of my sails for an instant at your revelation regarding the mark...however..and I ask because I dont know the answer..would it be difficult to convert a Mk.III to a Mk.IV?

The Difference between the Mk III & IV was essentially the turret. The Mk III used a welded turret whilst the Mk IV used a distinct Cast turret. I am reliably informed that AFV will be doing a Mk IV (and possibly the derivatives (AVRE, Mk V -95mm, Mk VI - 75mm).
It would be quite difficult to conver t the Mk III turret to a Mk IV but After market examples are avail from many suppliers. The MK III AVRE was used in action - I just wanted to point out that 99% of the pics you see are Mk IV AVRE's. The Pics of the kit are absolutely stunning and I will be adding this to the long list of kits to be constructed - Well done AFV

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
I'm lucky, i've got the (reworked) Legend Mk. IV turret with the Petard in the stash. So, simply fitting this onto the Mk. III hull should be about enough. I agree with Al's observations, the Mk. IV turret WOULD have been the better road to follow. The Mk. III is very poorly documented...

Jeez, we're complaining about an injection-moulded Churchill AVRE? How far things have come!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm lucky, i've got the (reworked) Legend Mk. IV turret with the Petard in the stash. So, simply fitting this onto the Mk. III hull should be about enough. I agree with Al's observations, the Mk. IV turret WOULD have been the better road to follow. The Mk. III is very poorly documented...

Jeez, we're complaining about an injection-moulded Churchill AVRE? How far things have come!

I better finish painting my Mk IV and I have a Resicast cast turret in the stash, so options there.

Al, yes wasn't having a go, I know what you mean about pics of the Mk III, hard to find. I am hoping the RE Museum might come up with some production numbers, have to wait and see.

The possibility of a Bridge Layer is exciting, some many good engineering vehicles could come from this one.

Al
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Woah Nelly, I'm not complaining but merely pointing it's relative rarity out to those people in the threads above. The detail shown in the Kit looks superb and I'll be getting one (I also have a spare K&K AVRE set).
I fully understand why they released this rarer version - its just mould maximisation. The rest will come and I''ll be even happier.
Cheers
Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Didn't think you were complaning at all, and yip good to point out that pics are hard to find, a bit like 6pdr ammo box ones

Got a reply from the RE Museum, it may take them some time, but they said they will see if they can come up with any production numbers and hopefully might verify the 180 and 574 figures I quoted. It would be great if they had numbers on production Mks, have to wait and see.

Lots of good things are going to come from this release

Exciting times

Al
 _GOTOTOP