_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cheiftan done
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:05 AM UTC
Well its done. The dust is done with some finger prints i accidently left behind, I didnt even notice till i seen the pics. Hope it turned out ok. Let me know.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Chris-- nice work. Is this the Tamiya kit?
thanks
DJ
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC
yes its the tamiya kit, with an added attena box and some re-taining hooks for the cables on the sides. The washes didnt turn out as well after the pigments went on but all in all I guess it turned out ok.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Looks good from here Chris although I don't know all that much about modern armor. I've always wondered, what's the purpose of the wrappings on the barrel? Are they there to reduce the heat signature from firing or for something else entirely?
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC
great chieftan

the weathering looks superb i like the tracks

bill they are dust extruders to stop dust getting into the working parts

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good from here Chris although I don't know all that much about modern armor. I've always wondered, what's the purpose of the wrappings on the barrel? Are they there to reduce the heat signature from firing or for something else entirely?

the wrapping is called a thermal shroud. It's used to keep the temperature of the barrel under control and therefore also the shape of the barrel itself. Unwanted changes in temperature caused by things such as sunlight or cold weather can be reduced so the gun can keep firing accurately
Bowman18
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Great looking tank, the colour looks spot on, however if it were my tank i would add some more dust of different shades to add a bit of contrast on the surfaces, but apart from that, brilliant.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Very nice Chris. Very, very nice!

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

bill they are dust extruders to stop dust getting into the working parts

Incorrect...see Mat's post.

By the way guys.....it is not Chieftan or Cheiftan......it is Chieftain.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC
Looks really good! Been thinking about doing one in the Berlin urban camouflage...
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 01:59 PM UTC
Thanks Mat and Jason, appreciate the answer to a curiosity question that's been hanging around in my mind for a while but never asked.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 07:57 PM UTC
Chris,

Nice model. There are a couple things you might want to consider for next time:
- You might want to watch your barrel assembly as this one isn't straight, it's cocked off to starbord a little. Getting the barrel right, along with it's inevitable seam, can be a pain, but it really makes the model come together.
- try to fill any seams. There are two noticeable ones under the front of the turret and another one around the periphery of the rear hull plate. Again, filling these can make a big improvement to the look of any model.

Just a couple tips for next time.

Paul
trackpads
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 08:07 PM UTC
As a former crew man on one of these i can safely say it as brought back bad memories of working with them whilst looking at your model Nice work, Never saw one as clean though.
soprano54
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Looks neat.........good effort! Why didn't add a splash of black paint as well? The Main Engine (ME) and Generator Unit Engine (GUE) exhausts need to be black especially on the inside, the antennas need to be straight as it gives the impression it's going at warp factor 10 and believe me it didn't!!!

And I've just noticed that the turret is to short! The NBC Pack should be nearly touching the resilient rail, not your fault!
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks neat.........good effort! Why didn't add a splash of black paint as well? The Main Engine (ME) and Generator Unit Engine (GUE) exhausts need to be black especially on the inside, the antennas need to be straight as it gives the impression it's going at warp factor 10 and believe me it didn't!!!

I've got a film in which trials are shown between the Leopard 1 and the Chieftain. The Dutch army had to choose between them. Although the Chieftain had more firepower and armour, it's mobility was clearly less than the Leopard. Reliability was also a problem for the Chieftain, as well the fact that it needed much more maintenance. Not my personal opinion, but the one of the Dutch army at the time.
Blaze24
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback. And I know about the barrel, i have since fixed it. This build was just OOB, except the attena box which I probally shouldnt have added but oh well live and let learn I guess. Besides I was given this kit as a gift from a guy I work with for always helping him get caught up at work as a thank you. So i used it as a testing platfom for weathering.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC
I think you're OK with the radio box, just means yours has a Clansman radio setup. I did the same a looong time ago on one I built.

Jim
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 07:55 PM UTC
Ya, but I think the Clansman system would have been mounted after the Chieftains were modified with the later style NBCW pack that covered the entire rear of the turret......not like the smaller one on the Tamiya kit.
 _GOTOTOP