_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
t 34 Colour
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
I have a T-34 coming mailorder. I was wondering what dark green should I paint it? Is the regular dark green I painted a universal carrier good enough or is there one better?

Thanks

Hasty
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
well, just the other day I found a MM acrilycs called russian armor green, I think is the color stated on the side, have sprayed one coat over some pre shading, and it looks pretty good to me... but any color that looks good to you is what you should go for

Bender
Jay
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 01:42 PM UTC
It was so hectic in Soviet factories during the early to mid war at times that there really was no set standard on a specific shade of dark green. There were frequently different shades which could be distinguished from one another upon close inspection. Factor in heavily weathered vehicles and you could almost go safely with just about any dark green paint.

I personall use the MM Russian Armor Green and weather it mildly with dry-brushed pastels.
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
Tried most.

I prefer to use Tamiya acrylics. The combination of XF58 (Olive Green) x 5, XF2 (Flat White) x 2 and XF3 (Flat Yellow) x 1 gives as close a 'standard' colour as I think you will get.

For highlighting I increase the XF2 in progressive lighter spray stages until it is equal in ratio to the XF 58.

Hope this helps.

Trackpins.
Peter.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
Just to throw another kink into the works: I was always told that Tamiya XF-61 (Dark Green) is a good color for Soviet armor and have been using it with good results.
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
I used for my T-34 Testors' 1710 ( dark green ) but you can use any shade of dark green (black green, olive green). Soviet were using mostly olive green dye
 _GOTOTOP