_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1127 Stryker RV w/slat done ** Pics**
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Here is my latest build for a customer. It is the Trumpeter M1127 Stryker RV with Eduard add-on armor, slat armor, upper blast shields, and Rhino anti-IED device. It represents his Stryker here in Iraq.

Here is his:

I scratched the blast panels on the roof to fit the M1127 from 0.020 styrene sheet. I used the supports from the Edaurad set though. The slat was, shall we say, not very fun. I think it looks good in the end though. I scratched the Duke antenna (sand one on top of the winch), and the FM antenna under the net, out of styrene rod and a couple antenna bases. The sniper screen is built on a frame of styrene square stock. The screen itself is medical gauze soaked in coffee to stain it tan. I also added wiring on the smoke grenade launchers, the headlights, and the LRSS and its mount. I added the drivers viewer next to the driver's hatch as well. The lower blast panels over the wheels are made out of sheet styrene as well. They have 3 layers of spaced armor, 2 0.020 sheets, and one 0.060 sheet in the back, with spacers in between. Overall, it was a pretty good kit and I am happy with it.

Here it is in the raw.

And done:

More can be seen here.

As always, all comments welcome.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hey Gino, interesting variant, I like the scratch built lower blast panels and others.
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Very Nice Gino! It looks like something out of Mad Max. How many hours do you figure you put into it?

I have a Stryker and the Pro Art set waiting.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
Gino, nice looking model. The net seems too light in color though. However, considering this is being done in Iraq w/ limited resources this is awesome. I'm trying to get a certain PE company to do the camo net but no luck at this point.

How the heck is this thing going to make it back to wherever home is for this soldier? He better take it on the plane w/ him.

Bob
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
Wow!!!! Fantastic work Gino. I ha once planned to do this exact build but had changed my mind. I can now sit back and enjoy your model. Again, congrats. Your customer will be thrilled. I bet he is paying big bucks for this baby...One question. Does he live in your area? I'm asking because I am wondering how you are going to package this build without all the PE stuff falling off?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC
That is one interesting vehicle Gino. It instantly reminds me of a Vietnam river monitor... Impressing work considering you being deployed. That said I think you should have used finer gauze for the sniper net. It seems a bit over-scaled to me.

Erik
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys, glad you like it. Yeah, I'm not totaly happy with the net, but it is what have available. It looks better w/out the bright lights too.

The PE is actually pretty sturdy since it has lots of attachment points that are glued. I will mail it to him and I'm confident it will make it just fine. It will be double-boxed and filled with peanuts. I have shipped models all over the world this way with no issues.

I don't keep track of how much time I work on them. I have been working on it for a little over a month, a few hours a night and a little more on Sundays, when I have more time off.

I was thinking it looks like an old Vietnam Monitor too.

docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
looks good Gino
apart from the net it just stands out over the rest of the model

the net could do with soaking in PVA glue then a sprinkle of dried crushed parsley so as to give it that camo net look. It just seems a little odd at the moment

you have done a good job with the Photo etched bar armour, it must have been a real pain to do not being based at home.

cheers

Keith
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
Gino that looks really nice. All that POE would have made me loose what's left of my hair
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Really Nice Gino
What is the reference for the Slat Kit ??
Do you have some progress pictures of the build ??

Cheers
Seb
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Gino,
nice to see that it is possible to build the PE slat armor Nice project as well. From the color of the PE, I guess you used the Eduard set.

Sorry if I sound a noob but why do you mean by blast panle on the roof ? Are they the angled white panels on each side of the roof ? Are they present on every Stryker ?

A lot of questions but I prefer having some answer before I start my own Stryker.
TIA
Olivier
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Yes, the Slat is the Eduard M1126 set, along w/the rest of the PE, all for the M1126.

The Blast Panels are the angled panels on the roof. They are on all the Strykers I have seen over here in Iraq. They protect the guys up top from shrapnel and debris coming over the top of the vehicle at an angle from below and the side, as from a roadside IED.

rcnpthfndr
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
172 IN arrrived in country with the first smattering of the new crew protection armor. the RV's didnt have any until later in 05. we (1/25) were the last stryker unit with the homemade plate armor. heres a good over head shot of the ICV and the panels, the RV's differ (picture is 11/08 timeframe).

ETA: those are 3 panels on your RV picture not 2 giant ones.

tractorman
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
I know this was posted a while back , any idea where this pic was taken .
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
An educated guess only -- fully kitted Stryker to train troops ready to deploy, next to a European "training" building -- Hohenfels or someplace similar.
 _GOTOTOP