_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
824th TD Battalion markings
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Does someone know where I can find reference material or decal sheets for 824th TD Battalion?

I've searched the net till I was blue in the face but cannot find it. I only have the ones for 643TD and 3A-705TD. My dio is set in Heilbronn, April 1945. thus these two will not be accurate. Maybe even ref for 100th Division Uniform markings ?

Any help will be much appreciated.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does someone know where I can find reference material or decal sheets for 824th TD Battalion?

I've searched the net till I was blue in the face but cannot find it. I only have the ones for 643TD and 3A-705TD. My dio is set in Heilbronn, April 1945. thus these two will not be accurate. Maybe even ref for 100th Division Uniform markings ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Try here:
http://www.100thww2.org/support/824/824combat.html

here:
http://www.archertransfers.com/AR35103.html

here:
http://www.archertransfers.com/FG35027.html

possibly here:
824th Tank Destroyer Battalion
Ms. Lorraine M. Masone
53 Lent Drive
Plainview, Long Island, New York 11803
(Newsletter)
(516) 433-2663

And I'll look at my resources at home when I get off work.

cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
BC,

Thanks for the reply. The site 100thww2 is where I actually got my idea for the setting for my diorama. The pictures on there helped me alot but I need some decent drawings/photos of the markings on the side. Especially the little graphic at the front and the name on the side of the hull. On one of the websites someone actually mentioned that the tanks where not the "I dont want a" but "Dorothy"?

I have my whole dio planned models amlmost finished and are just doing some research tonight after my 'withdrawls' after the last two days without the forums! I just need to get these markings and I will be finished.

The arceher site was for the M-10, with some of them being useful but still now decal for 824.

As for the lady's adress at the bottom, I live in South Africa and that might be difficult. But your input is still much appreciated.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
I have more info at home. After work I'll check for you. Kencelot would probably be a big help as well.
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
Thanking you very much BC!

With the amount of knowledge 'floating' at this site, everytime I ask for something, I feel like the times I go visit my Bank Manager:

Bank Manager - "Come in, sit down and make yourself comfortable."
Me - "Thank you very much Sir, but I am comfortable on my knees!!!"

Bless you all!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
Arrrgghh! I left my book at work!! Eeeek. Shhh...I seem to get more time to read at work than home...shhh
I don't know if it has the specifics of the marking you are looking for, but tomorrow I will certainly bring it home and look for you.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC
I take you found the 824th TD site on the Century Division site? I found four photos, but like you said not a good one from the side. There were three good pictures of the bumper markings and the multiple stars.

Here is another site where you can post a question and maybe someone will have an answer: "www.network.net/~majikul/lCo.htm".

I have the US Army Historical Series at work, however, I won't be back there till next Monday. I can look then.

Jeff
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Arrrgghh! I left my book at work!! Eeeek. Shhh...I seem to get more time to read at work than home...shhh

Must be nice, Ken. I hope you don't work for the government

Wish I had enough time to read 'n' write at work. Wait a minute...that is my job!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
Edwin, the marking you refer to on the side of the vehicle "Dorothy" is not of the 824th, but of B company of the 827th. The photo of this vehicle is from Germany in December of '44.
I have a couple of pics of M18s from the 824th, but none are clear nor close enough for me to make out. Hmmm.
The M18 with "I Don't Want A" is from an unknown battalion...at least for me. It is from France in September of '44. The graphic you refer to is of a bikini clad (blue, early type) blonde, with the words "I Don't Want A" just in front of her. This vehicle also had a Culin hedgerow cutter.
I hope this helps you out a bit.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Must be nice, Ken. I hope you don't work for the government

Wish I had enough time to read 'n' write at work. Wait a minute...that is my job!

Bob, I should have added "on my lunch hour"...lol shhh
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 09:04 AM UTC
Edwin, another note on the 824th is they were one of the few TD battalions to use their battalion markings on the front and rear of the vehicles. They also used numerous "star" and "star w/circle" markings on the hull - all four sides, turret sides and rear and top, and the engine deck. Literally plastered with em!!! They did this because they were one of the first recipients of the M18. It's torsion bar suspension was feared that the vehicle would be misidentified as German.

I hope this helps a bit more.
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
Kenc,

Thanks for the information. I did have a close look at those photos again and saw that the markings on the front and back of the vehicle is fairly readable. The 7A-824 TD is visible on the front and rear of the vehicle and to the left of the unit number in the front is a "C" but the marking to right of the unit number in the rear I cannot make out. Any ideas?

I saw that there are stars on the side of the turrer but on the little compartment type box on the side of the turret, I cannot see what that is either. I can see that there are three markings on the side or that is what it looks like. I'll have a look still and see if there is anything else.

Again, thanks for the help.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
Edwin, on the front of the hull reads: 7A - 824TD C49,
the rear hull panel reads 7A-824TD C49 - the markings on the rear is flanked by segmented circled stars.
The boxes on the sides of the turret houses the turret tarps (roofing) and are marked with the same segmented circled stars.

Let me know if you need more.
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
Ken,

Excuse my ignorance but you mention a segmented circled star, is that the "normal" circle white circle with the star in? I mean does it look the same as the one featured on the front of the hull in the one picture?

I think I now have what I needed, just need to figure out what on the side of the hull is. Just as a matter of fact, the " I DONT WANT A" is from TD 643, France 1944.

Did all US vehicle have the registration number (hope it is the right term) featured on the side i.e.

U.S.A.

?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excuse my ignorance but you mention a segmented circled star, is that the "normal" circle white circle with the star in? I mean does it look the same as the one featured on the front of the hull in the one picture?

From afar it looks the same, up close it was broken into 5 equal segments from the stencils used by the paint depots. Some where filled in some not.

Quoted Text

Did all US vehicle have the registration number (hope it is the right term) featured on the side

Yes, they all had em, however some would lose them due to many circumstances and not replace them.
Thanks for the tid bit on the 643rd. :-)
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 04:38 PM UTC
Ken,

After studied those photos again, but cannot see a thing. I think I will follow your advice and use the segmented stars on the side of the hull as well. I've seen another model ( I know that I'm not suppose to use other models for reference ) with the segmented stars on the side but it does tie up with your comment of them being marked all over with stars for identification.

Do you think that the stars on the engine deck and top of the turret will be segmented circled stars or just the normal stars with out the circles?

Thanks,
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 04:46 PM UTC
Ken,

Sorry, I should have adde that I will use the stars and the registration numbers on the sides of the hull. Another question though :

Would the TD logo ( I see you have one below your avatar ) look out of place on the one side of the vehicle's hull. Just one, not two.

Thanks again for all your valued input.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you think that the stars on the engine deck and top of the turret will be segmented circled stars or just the normal stars with out the circles?

The reference material I have shows them to be the segmented ones.

Quoted Text

Would the TD logo look out of place on the one side of the vehicle's hull. Just one, not two.

While I haven't seen too many actual vehicles with the TD emblem, I do have a B&W photo of an M18 from the 704th that "appears" to have one on it's hull side, but the pic is too blurry to be sure. I do have a color reference that shows it on the side of one from the 701st.

It's quite difficult to get vehicle specific without actual photos of all five sides of said vehicle. There are going to be many "what about that one" questions, that just can't be answered. I would suggest that if you feel comfortable with it, go for it. It would add some color and character to the model.
 _GOTOTOP