_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
straw poll for modelling
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Dear fellow modellers I am asking the following question purely out of interest. I have been modelling since the mid 1960's and I always start and finish one model at a time. I hate to leave a model half constructed or half painted in its box and move on to another model as my interest in it is gripped or wains.

So my fellow modellers the question is :- A model at a time or several models on the go?

regards
Oldtimer
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,199 posts
Armorama: 821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
I make sure that I finish a model or end up throwing it out (many many mistakes) before I move on to another project.
Usually I will start researching for my next model during the painting process of the previous.
Evan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:53 PM UTC
One at a time. I can't stand having multiple, unfinished models laying around.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi
Interesting question.
Myself I've usually got about 3 on the go.
1 being built
2 being painted
3 diorama being made for the model.
That way I've got something always to keep me busy.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
always one at a time
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
1 at a time. If I put one down and start another I almost never go back.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
I hate painting kits, therefore, I will construct several kits and then motivate myself to paint them all at once. Because of this, some kits may be fully constructed or constructed in subassemblies or brought to about 80% construction before it goes into the "waiting paint" pile. It all depends on the kit and the complexity of the painting required.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:29 AM UTC
Starting to do two at a time now as it takes so long to do one.

Keeps the Interest up.

As I just started to get into Sherman's and their related cousins or early ancestors I can use parts from say a Dragon kit on a Lee or use them on the M-40 or M-112.

So for me right now I say two at least.

Painting is not a problem,but weathering and a base might be.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
One at a time. Although I recently broke my own rule and now I regret I did. Had a Dragon Hunting Tiger 90% finished and started a Dragon M4A3E8 - now I can't find some of the parts for the Tiger and will have to cobble something up from scratch.

So live and learn - one at a time.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So my fellow modellers the question is :- A model at a time or several models on the go?

Yes! Usually. Or both, sometimes. Maybe occasionally. It depends, I guess.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC
Several at once to keep the interest level up. Some parts of modeling can, after all, be quite horribly monotonous or are best done in small doses - putting together single-link tracks (I'll always go with workables if I have the option, with the exception of the more insane link types, like the Friul Tiger II double-links or the Modelkasten T49s) or cutting resin pieces off of casting blocks (because you just know that no matter what you do, one of those pieces is going to ptang! off somewhere, to go live with all the dropped PE tie-downs).

So I can find that I'm preparing the pieces for one kit, assembling the tracks for another, I've got a third in early construction, a fourth further on, another that's at the priming stage, possibly a couple at various points in actual painting, and another one or two at various stages in the weathering process. If something's going in a diorama, throw in several extra steps for figure preparation and painting and building the base.

A lot of this is because, right now, I'm out of work, and relying on that big kit stash to keep me sane. If I can only spend 25 minutes a day on modeling I'm going to go rather nuts rather quickly I think, so keeping all of these on the go keeps me busier and, by extension, saner. I suspect that if I was gainfully employed again, the number would drop dramatically - enough to make sure I could get something satisfying done of an evening, but not nearly as much as I need to find to do now.

Oh, and I suppose I should add in a few pre-build stages - acquiring any aftermarket parts that I need (not easy without any money), checking accuracy, choosing kit subject.

The aftermarket thing has gotten a lot easier of late - is it just me or is PE for AFVs, with the exception of the big multi-part sets from people like Lion Roar and Voyager, vanishing? Presumably due to the economy, but (for example) in The Good Olde Days of a year or two back I'd have expected at least one PE set for the AFV Club M1128 by now. I find the pick'n'mix stowage sets pretty easy to resist, and won't leave a kit sitting there forever waiting for PE unless I know, for sure, that somebody's going to do a set.

Oh, and I'll mix in quick builds with the more involved ones - a straight forward Tamiya kit, even if it's getting a PE set, is going to go right through my pipeline in the time it takes me to get a fair-sized resin kit through initial parts preparation and construction of one or two major assemblies.

Al
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:08 AM UTC
one at a time --usually
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 400 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 07:32 AM UTC
Well I tend to have at least three on the bench at a time, due to Painting or Glue Setting times. It is just the way I work on them?? Don't think there is a right or wrong way of doing it???
Cheers
Jeff
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 10:36 AM UTC
See here's the problem i have multple builds on the go but i think i am going to return to one at a time its doing my head in and nothings getting finished

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 03:11 PM UTC
Usually two or three in progress at any time. All get finished, but some get done quicker than others.

Cheers,
Mike
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
I usually have a couple going at a time to keep the interest up.
 _GOTOTOP