European Goddess of peace
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi team
What city in Europe WWII would this Goddess of Peace sculpture be at home in? I was kinda hoping somewhere in Germany c1939.

ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:30 PM UTC
Well it's got war damage so it probably wouldn't be a 1939 German statue. Poland yes Germany no.

What kind of dio do you want to use it in mate ?

grunf
Visit this Community
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Don't worry, you can find everywhere in europe, and you can consider also that the sculture as very old so with "damage" due to a time pass.
You can add grass all around put in a middle of a square or in a corner of a public garden
France,Germany, Italy,Spain..............depend on you
ciao
piero
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thanks Paul and Piero
It sort of reminded me of what a person finds in a place where the dead RIP. Just need a bit of wrought iron.
I thought pretty well anywhere in Europe, as the box art says, and the damage may have been over a series of wars eg Napoleonic, Franco Prussian etc.
Got thoughts around an Adler Kfz 13 armoured car complete with crew and a few civies. Maybe a prostitute - whoops "working girl", or two.
Like the idea of being in a square or overgrown , grass n' weeds etc.
Poland, Germany or France would work for me. I could use a dejected French POW from Warriors sitting on the base. When you think about it, there are a lot of alternatives out there
Cheers
Rod
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Made a start.
Here is a pic of the working girl modified to fit the shape of the sculpture base/pedestal.

The working girl is in metal [1/35th scale] made by Aurora Model item MI-005 Military WWII Street Girl.
Check out their site http://aurora-model.jp

samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC

Very interesting idea. It is an often undone or overlooked area of military modeling to depict that despite everything, the lives of the civilian population continue. Glad to see someone approach this subject with a bit of class.
When you stop to think about it, including aspects of civilian life such as this add virtually endless possibilities for dioramas and story lines.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
My only problem with what you want to do is that I think the angel is a spire from the top of a church. If you look at a lot of traditional 12th century on back churches, they all have this elegant sloping point to the top of the church, usually accompanied by four lower spires, as in the kit you have.

Im not saying dont do it, but maybe you need to research where this came from a little closer maybe?
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks James and Steve.

James thanks for your encouragement. The majority of my vignettes and dioramas, planned and started, include civilians doing everyday things. Example of an idea in 1/35th - kid using slinshot/catapult, breaks headlight of car, mechanic crouched down looking at the damage, concerned civy looking on, infantry officer [maybe converted to a Gendarme] tearing a strip off the boy yelling at him, driver of a Somua looking on plus of course the half-track and Citreon car would be there as well. Mk 35, Azimut/ADV, Des and Matchbox items.

Steve what you say could well be. Maybe I will have to model it with a couple of planes flying past. LOL. I don't see myself modelling a church to go with it. And as you say, maybe a bit more research would not go astray.

Actually I am not worried about it being 100% accurate as I am trying to create atmosphere rather than much else. Living in the bottom of the South Pacific I only have access to internet and books. Mr Murphy and his law indicate that things do vary.
Hence I rely on the collective wisdom of this site and in particular people like 'ya all' that post a response - for example the post in this thread by Piero which mentions the commonality of the sculpture in parks, town squares etc.
The sculpture reminds me of stuff that I have seen in the local cemeteries which dates from 1850ish to date. A Victorian resurgence of things renaissance.
Cheers
Removed by original poster on 01/26/09 - 14:09:02 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP