_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Desert Storm Chevrons
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
Does anyone have the Tamiya "Modern Military Decal Sheet A" lying around and would care to part with it? Not being that well versed at painting markings, I still fall back on good old decals. I need the chevrons from it. Any help is appreciated. When the hummer is finally finished I will try and post some shots so I can see how I rank among the Armorama Elite.

Thanks again.
e-mails to [email protected]
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:52 AM UTC
You can always put them on the way we really did, with a big a$$ stencil and black spray paint. Cut a small "V" out and spray on with an airbrush.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not being that well versed at painting markings, I still fall back on good old decals. I need the chevrons from it.

I don't know if this would help, but I usually paint chevrons. Not really big of a deal, so if you want to try it, do something like this... Use a ruler to outline the chevron with a sharp pencil. Follow the marks with black paint and a steady hand and you have a chevron..

Mario M.

ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
The real chevrons usually looked pretty rough, since they were applied as described by Sabot above. I have seen some that were painted so thin that they faded away withing weeks. I wouldn't worry about getting them perfect, just mask and spray something that resembles a chevron, and no one can say it is wrong.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 09:02 AM UTC
Use your computer to print a "V", the appropriate size, cut it out and you have your stencil. That is how I make some small stencils at work, except I use manila folders for the material. Print a couple if your worried about wear and tear. The stiffer the paper the better. HTH
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 08:27 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I gues after all the urging I will take the plunge. Lets see how she goes. By the way, does anyone make templates for spraying your own insignia? I have seen a template included in the Verlinden MASH upgrade. A brass PE Ball & Cross template. Kinda slick really. I'm going to try using that overhead "flimsie" material for the template to aid in location. Will advise...over.
 _GOTOTOP