Hosted by Darren Baker
Tips On How To Make Long Grass
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hi everyone, i have a few tips that some one from armorama told me, and i just thought more poeple should know.

All you need is,
* Small peice drill
* PVA ( white glue )
* Old paint brush ( one with fine bristles, not the type that is plastic)
* Desired colour of paint
*And a model painting brush ( for painting of the "old" paint brush's bristles )

step 1. Drill hole in the desired spot where you want the long grass on your diorama.
step 2. put small drop of PVA ( white glue ) in hole.
step 3. Cut bristles of "old" paint brush and pich bottom so that no bristles escape form your grip, and apply into the drilled hole.
step 4. Let PVA ( white glue ) dry and manouver your bristles around to form desired effect.
step 5. Using your modeling paint brush, paint the " old " paintbrushes bristles to your desired colour and let dry.

WALLA !!!!!!!! All done. Now you cann apply the rest of your diorama materials

Posted by MATTTOMLIN .
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 05:15 PM UTC
Thanks, for the tip.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 06:57 PM UTC
I do it similarly, but soak the "old" paintbrush ins a light green rinse overnight... iand then let it dry out. It clumps a little better, and it comes out very nice "weed" green. i then paint the tips of the weeds if desired, to indicate a little color - like wild flowers. Very nice effect.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 07:57 PM UTC
ok, kfmagee, but what do you mean " rinse" with a light green, what do you do their, normally when i do my long grass, i do like a yellow sandish brownish colour, but your ideah sounds good, where would you use these green long grasses, like in real life where would this particular green weed be found, streams, lakes, desert, where ?

thnx
matt
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 11:38 AM UTC
I like to use deer hair to make tall grass. While I collect mine the old fashioned way, it can be purchased from fly-fishing shops (it is called "bucktail" in some places). It comes from the shop dyed in a rainbow of colors, or you can dye it yourself with a bit of clothing dye.
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 64 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
What if you have a rather large diorama? Any cheap ways to get a bunch of old brushes (if you don't have enough of your own), or something else like the brush bristles that are similar and have the same effect?
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
Dman,,,,, it doesnt materr if you have a rather large dio just see if you have any old paintbrushes around and if not try and see it you can get some at the local paint shop, or whatever..... if you have any more questions just ask me ...

matt
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC
i buy the big packs of brushes from diy stores it works out cheaper than buying loads of them singly
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ok, kfmagee, but what do you mean " rinse" with a light green, what do you do their, normally when i do my long grass, i do like a yellow sandish brownish colour, but your ideah sounds good, where would you use these green long grasses, like in real life where would this particular green weed be found, streams, lakes, desert, where ?

You have, more or less, answered your own question. Grasses grow everywhere and depending on the terrain you are modelling, come in different colours and length. For short grass, static grass is perfect, but it is not every model is set on a golf couse. Little tufts of different lengths of grass adds so much realism and effect. At the base of walls and unused areas slightly longer grass stands out a bit more, and different lengths is also realistic. Not all long grass is sandish in colour. In WW2 europe untended grass will grow when not trampled down, and is usually green but dry brushed lighter greens to yellow to show the dieing ends or sunbleached ends is normal!
Grifter
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
Here in south eastern US it grows wild all over where it isn't controlled. Especially during the spring it will grow nearly chest high in only a few weeks. The color is meduim green at the base fading to sap green towards the top.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:20 PM UTC
grifter, static grass is not real it is made out of plastic, what are you talking about ?/

matt
Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 07:07 PM UTC
Here in the Philippines there is one great material that I use for high grass. It has that yellow, sandish, brownish color that MATTTOMLIN said. It's made from a certain fibre used as broom bristles here. It costs nothing more than a dollar & would give you enough grass for a long time. I think it's not sold in the U.S. It's a local product.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here in the Philippines there is one great material that I use for high grass. It has that yellow, sandish, brownish color that MATTTOMLIN said. It's made from a certain fibre used as broom bristles here. It costs nothing more than a dollar & would give you enough grass for a long time. I think it's not sold in the U.S. It's a local product.

Those in the US especially in New Jersey and California might have access to Filipino stores that sell these brooms

Might as well give it a shot
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
Matt, they were talking about how real grass grows in different areas and how different types of modelling grasses are better for different countrys/areas, cheers
Grifter
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

, where would you use these green long grasses, like in real life where would this particular green weed be found, streams, lakes, desert, where ?

thnx
matt

I was giving a little input about where this type of wild grass appears in real life
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip!!
~Chip
 _GOTOTOP