_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Scrapmetal-WWII PzIV
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Rob,
I love your results with the rust effects. How does it stand up to being handled as some of it looks really flaky? I will be trying come of this soon, thanks for sharing these techniques.
Kenny.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys, to hear your liking the the effect of the crackle. I'm still playing around with the crackle, using it different ways and with other materials. I've been trying to get the effect were the oxide primer color is visible under and near the vehicle's paint color. I'm getting close to what I'm looking for. I used a masking fluid over pigments then sprayed the primer color after that came the crakle the way I applied it before. Here is what I have so far.

Here I started applying my rust powder.

I still have to remove some of the raised/loose paint. The next experiment is with hairspray...we'll see what happens next.

Rob
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 04:20 PM UTC

Rob,

Truly amazing work! That is a very, very nicely done piece of painting. I've spent a great deal of my life around rusting hulks of different sorts (not unlike myself) and I have to say that you've really got it done perfectly. Not too much surface detail and not too little either. And the different tones in different areas are spot on as well. Well done man!

Jim
Large Scale Armory
SteveReid
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
Rob,
you are a genuine talent man! I am going to be picking up a bottle of that crackle stuff.
Thanks for documenting this!

Steve
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Rob if I didn't see the beginning of this I would swear it was metal. Nice work. Very well done.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
What a result! I really liked the "Rust gloss crackle paint" Loved the way it has three very suttle layers, can see this Tecnique being used alot, by alot of modellers. Fantastic find, much respect for giving us this sneak pre-view. I'm watching, cheers Geraint
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
I thank you all for the positive comments. I will be working on this technique some more and will be posting those results soon. I will try to do a review on this technique, I'm not much of a writer so bear with, it might take a while.

Rob

Semper Fi Dave
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC
This is most cool!!!

Semper fi,
Dave
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
Very very realistic looking results here Rob, you've nailed exactly the look you were going for. I'll echo the others comments about a Feature article.
toyz4boyz
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC
This is awesome. I am planning on building a model of the very first car I owned, and this technique will definitely come in handy!

D
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a tremendous breakthrough technique. You should consider doing a feature for Armorama about how this is done (assuming you don't want to keep the secret for yourself!). Outstanding, it really looks like corroded metal.

DITTO! Rob, this technique is absolutly revolutionary!!!!!! Make sure that when you do do a feature on it you dub it "The American School".
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
That really does look the part. I have a bottle of crackle paint that I was planning on using for something else hobby related ,but I never would have thought about using it for rust. please do share your final technique
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC
Rob, you'er a GENIUS!!. Please do exxplain your new technique, it is absoluetly awesome!!!!

Frank
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks Bill, I don't plan on keeping this a secret, I want to play around with a bit longer til I post a review. I want to see what will happen when all is fully cured.

Rob
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
This is a tremendous breakthrough technique. You should consider doing a feature for Armorama about how this is done (assuming you don't want to keep the secret for yourself!). Outstanding, it really looks like corroded metal.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks Ales, your too kind. This could be used for a white wash effect, an alternative to the hairspray method, I'll have to try it out sometime.
I forgot to post the topic when I listed this post last night, sorry for the double posting guys, it was meant to be in the Axis-WWII. I'll try to set this in a base today and will post some new pics.

Rob
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
One question Rob: where did you get the shrinking machine? You don't really expect us to believe that this is really a painted plastic, do you? I mean, this trully is a masterpiece. I'm watching closely to learn...

-A-
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
I have always wanted to build ones of those tank remains that we see posted in the internet of rusted hulks sitting somewhere in eastern Europe. I thought I would kill two birds with one stone by trying something new. I came across a Crackle type of paint at the craft store and thought it might be useful, so I've been paying around for the past two days to get it down right. I used an old Italeri kit for this build,basically just the upper and lower hull. It will be set in the ground similar to what I did with my PzJgr L48 (Dec constructive feedback forum) but with less work involved in the build of the kit. I wanted to simulate the thick rust encrusted metal and flaked paint seen on old tanks so I spent two days applying this crackling medium in different ways and this is the result so far.

This is the initial look that I was going for but while experimenting I found that this was too extreme and fragile, way too flakie.

Here is a strip of styrene with different methods used. The base paint is a mix of Tamiya dark brown and black, Sort of a dark umber or vandyke brown color I use under rust. Gloss and flat represent Testors acrylic clear coats and "paint" is the color to be applied over the crackle, here Tamiya flat white.

Just playing around to find what works best.

To simulate the thick rust encrusted metal I switched back and forth with the
paint and crackle twice then gave everthing a wash of Vandyke brown and black oils. When this was almost dry I applied lots of ochra umbra mixed with my rust powder.The result was a nice thick rust.

I went with the last method in the test strip and I am sumwhat happy with the result. I added some rust "weathering" but still have to do some more after the model is set in groundwork, then add some earth dust to tone everything down.

Sorry for the long post but I have to get as much in as possible. I have to use my wife's office PC to go on line, so when she's taking a break, then I have take advantage of the time I have on it.

And yes I do have a lot of time to build at the moment, I was laid of work in November,Commission models are done, so after the house work and dogs are taken care of it's time to build. I have one more month before I go back to work so I will try to get as much done as possible.
Any comments or suggestions you have are most welcome.

Rob
 _GOTOTOP