_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
need help with washes again
tazz3
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Should i use a wash with black or the color of the tank. some people use the same color of the tank. so plz tell me thanks iam almost done with my panzer 4 will have pics here soon
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 08:34 AM UTC
Howdy tazz,

What colour is your 'panzer4'? Washes can be a very individual endeavor. One safe thing I can pass on to you is not to use a strictly black wash. Depending upon whether you're using acrylics, enamels, or oils is also a factor. Throw us some more info on your Panzer project and I'm sure the more learned of us will pipe in...

Tread.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 02:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What colour is your 'panzer4'? Washes can be a very individual endeavor. One safe thing I can pass on to you is not to use a strictly black wash.

Quite true.. I wouldn't suggest doing black wash on vehicles painted in light colors (i.e. Desert Storm vehicles), rather a wash with a slightly darker tone of the base color will do just perfect.

Mario M.

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 03:32 PM UTC
The basic art painting rule could work here also..
Add some opposite color to base color. If your tank is green, some red or terracotta color will do the trick...
Sepia is a good all-around tone as well, it includes all the basic colors...

Toni
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC
When I apply a wash on a german Dark yellow/Dunkelgelb I will never use just a straight black wash. I will use a small amount of black with sepia or burnt umber artist oils, thinned down almost 95%. :-)
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
I am currently working on a Leopard 2 and the Bushmaster.. haven't gotten to the washes actually......

I read that the acryl-thinner in the brush you apply can easily get the underlaying color off.. solution to prevent this would be to use enamel based clear paint to seal the previously painted bits off... hmm.. not a great fan of enamel based paint.

Could I just thin the acrylic paint with water and apply that as brush?? Or no good ?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC
When i do a wash, I usually do it in three stages.... first, I do a dark black / sepia wash to show deep recesses, and places where you would expect to find fuel, oil, and residue. After this has THOROUGLY dried, I place a flat coat to seal it in place. Then I go back and do my silver dry brushing on high-wear areas, such as handgrips, or places where metal-on-metal would occur. Finally, i come back and do a "turf" buildup, where i customize a combo of wash and drybrush reflective of the kind of territory where the unit is posed. For example, a Tank that is in a heavy red dirt area would obviously not be coated in dark earth - but instead would have the terra-cotta color dirt more visible.
tazz3
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
ok my panzer is dark grey, so should i use a black wash for the lines and add some grey with the black and should i wash the whole model with the wash. but it came outpretty good, with the black wash
 _GOTOTOP