_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
ALERT
It's That Time of Year Again..
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 09:45 PM UTC
On Friday, I fly out to Nuremberg for the 60th Spielwerrenmesse (Toy Fair).

This time though, it's going to be a little different. For the first time, my colleague Jean-Luc from our Aviation site, Aeroscale, will also be there and covering the 'wingy-side' of things in a way I was never able to do.

So, the Kitmaker Network should be well represented.

So, what does this mean to you, and to the Network in general? Hopefully, it means more access to the manufacturers which, in turn, gives us more in the way of Review material, more in News updates and, increasingly important, more advertising which allows us to do even more with the site. If things go according to plan, we'll also have more sponsored competitions.

Now what I DON'T do at Nuremberg, is present 'Wish-Lists' to the various manufacturers. It simply isn't the Forum for that.

What I can try and do, is communicate any comments to the various manufacturers represented about the direction they are going in, getting release dates for announced releases and, express any more negative comments (last year the suspension of Academy's Grant was an interesting topic)

So, if you've anything you'd like me to communicate, the door is open
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC
yup, Dragons on going "soon to be released" list that keeps piling up because they cant stand other mfgs releasing them first! That Tiger I early has been on there forever..and they have the molds for it! and the crap with the Sdkfz 7 come on.. that was so bogus.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:21 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Firstly have a good trip.

On feedback to the manufacturers, firstly form my (British) point of view things are going very well and I believe all the new releases are very welcome.

The sticking point for many will be cost. Plastic kits need to be affordable to many and not a few. I know all the arguments about costs but as kits keep getting more expensive then sooner or later they will reach a point where they sell less not more. This is even more true in the current financial squeeze so offering affordable kits would be for many I believe quite important.

Pass on some thanks to Academy in taking the time to sort out the suspension issue on the Grant/Lee, that was appreciated by many.

AFV, Bronco, Tasca and Academy all seem to be building quite a strong range of British vehicles. I assume therefore that these are in demand and selling and I would encourage them in this area. (You know my thoughts there )

MasterBox and MiniArt are also to be congratulated on their range of figures and thought out poses, it is good to see more generic sets useable across more modelling areas. They have some great German sets but new similar sets for the American and British range would be appreiated.

Over the last year/18 months we have had some fantastic Allied releases and my thanks to all those manufacturers who took a chance, I just hope they continue to develop this area of modelling and look forward to the coming year and next year.

Al

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:28 PM UTC
@ Alan, as always, thanks for the feedback - exactly what the manufacturers NEED to hear! Regarding your 'Truck-List' i'll be making a move with that when I come back - there just MAY be a way to interest one or two manufacturers on that

@ Tim, youre right to highlight the Sd. Kfz 7 - one of the worst marketing SNAFUs i've ever seen. However, in fairness, the rest of their announced releases ARE coming out (with the exception of the catalogue-listed releases from years ago) ...
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
Jim I was reapding the fourm " what modern figures would you like to see?" I am not saying suggest something to Hobbyboss but if they are attending see what plans they have for figures.

Also I would not mind finding out when Trumpeter are thinking about releasing the Bundeswehr figures.

Have a great time Mate! I am very jellous and wish I was attending!

Martyn
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also I would not mind finding out when Trumpeter are thinking about releasing the Bundeswehr figures

That's DEFINITELY on the agenda. As to HB, i'll also be bringing that one up...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC
One general comment to all manufacturers:
Please do take the time to verify the facts, instructions, assembly et.c.
to avoid having the internet full of negative comments about a kit that
was rushed to the market to beat some competitor or other.
With the internet and discussion foras the "customer" is starting to get
well informed and many will calmly wait for the "competitors" kit to
appear and the comparison reviews to be published (be there a little
later with a correct kit instead of getting the faulty one out first) .
Expensive kits with faults will soon ruin the market for that manufacturer ....

The issue with premature promises about possible future kits has
been treated in another post (see above) and I can only add my
wholehearted support for that comment. The customer will get vary
and stop listening. Especially with expensive kits .......
/ Robin
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thanks Robin - again, some superb points which i'll do my best to include...
newfish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 10:44 PM UTC
Jim have a safe trip

I think you should give some of the less well known traders some lime light so they can get the covrage they so desperatly need !

for example miniman factory has just released a couple of superb kits but I bet if you ask around not many people are going to know who they are

so the litle companies should have more lime light instead of the usual suspects hogging the light.

but could you see if bravo 6 are releasing and more figure

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:00 PM UTC
Thank Jim, have a safe time.

martyn
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:00 PM UTC
James, only a handful of the smaller manufacturers make it to Nuremberg. Bravo-6 (for example) is getting excellent coverage here - both in News and Reviews.

We are (daily) covering the smaller companies. Black Dog? Armorscale? etc. etc. all get VERY high-profile coverage on the site....
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On feedback to the manufacturers, firstly form my (British) point of view things are going very well and I believe all the new releases are very welcome...

Over the last year/18 months we have had some fantastic Allied releases and my thanks to all those manufacturers who took a chance, I just hope they continue to develop this area of modelling and look forward to the coming year and next year.

Al

Hi Jim
I'd firstly echo what Al has said about the welcome release of Allied subjects (today we saw Alpine release some brilliant Desert Tankers) , and would say long may it continue. I really loved Dragon and Tasca's recent Shermans, but the icing on the cake for me has been AFV Club's Churchills, let's hope there are even more variants in the pipeline.

Safe Journey and have fun

Paul
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We are (daily) covering the smaller companies. Black Dog? Armorscale? etc. etc. all get VERY high-profile coverage on the site....

Yes the Smaller guys get really nice coverage here and it's very welcome as it shows us all what great stuff is out there. We get not just the big headline releases from the major players who have a budget for advertising, but also the little guys making high quality, quirky stuff that the big guns wouldn't bother with.

Cheers
Paul
newfish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:14 PM UTC
Ok Jim thanks very much

I didn't say Bravo 6 was a little company i was wondering if you could see if they have anything new to be realesed

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:17 PM UTC
Thanks Jim.

Al
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 11:53 PM UTC
Have a great stay over there and keep a hankey ready to wipe the drool of your faces

What I'd like to know is:
- That DML SdKfz 7 indeed...
- Trumpeter and any further E-series planned
- Which AM company has products/plans for the 1/16 Tiger-B

And just about anything "oow wow" you can find...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We get not just the big headline releases from the major players who have a budget for advertising, but also the little guys making high quality, quirky stuff that the big guns wouldn't bother with.

On this subject, unfortunately many of the smaller companies simply can't afford to go to N'Berg. The cost of a stand is absolutely impressive although they have created lower-cost areas for smaller companies. The Tamiya stand is like a small city block for example and that of Revell (Germany) is like a medium-sized one...

That said, with the volume of interest some companies generate (Mig Productions last year for example) it is a large but worthwhile investment.

Funnily enough, getting contacts established with the 'smaller' companies is relatively easy - trying to establish contact with Tamiya (as an example) is my annual exercise in frustration... However, as it is said, third time lucky?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:16 AM UTC
If you happens to snoop around at the Revell booth, please give my compliments on there courage to market a 1:72 Gato and a 1:144 Fletcher - and maybe inquire it they have plans on new 1:72 submarine kits.

If you see anyone from Bronco - please say "1:16 panther g" to them

Have a nice and safe trip

Cheers/Jan
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
Mr. Rae goes to Nürnberg - welcome to our country Jim.

Here are some things I am interested in to know.

When do Trumpeter release the Tiger II 1/16 with the Porsche designed turret?

Concerning modern vehicles:

1. Do DML plan to upscale some models (Bradley etc.) of their 72er scale to 1:35?

2. The same for Tamiya: May we expect their modern vehicle kits downscaled in 1.48?

3. To Revell: If they issue their new Jagdpanzer annonced, will Revell finally erase the big mistakes of the recent kit like the inacceptable tracks, commander cupola etc?

4. Any modern Bundeswehr-vehicles like Dingo (German), Fennek?

And here is something what has nothing to do with military but should belong to the kitmaker area. Therefore I would appreciate it, if you could find out if Fine Molds bring out any new Star Wars kits. Their latest one was issued Christmas 2007...

Tjo Jim, bon voyage und viel Vergnügen hier bei uns.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hope you guys have a great time and blog the heck out of it! You can sleep when you come home!
To me,this show is the Christmas of the hobby,the peek into the kitchen to see what all the good sniffs were about from the previous year!
I want it all........
Just ordered MerkIV by Academy.
Over on Large Scale Planes, The Revell 1/32 Ju88 is well into the lead for 2008 KIt of The Year with DML Bf-110 a distant second. JRutman's offering of the Henschell Hs129B is leading the resin catagory.It's not much more money than DML's '110!
Hobby Boss A10 cruiser? Merk IV? What's the scoop?
Trumpeter 1/32 Fairy Swordfish? Stormavik? Any Prop WW2 twin engine?
For figures,any manufacturer interested in a multi-pose system ala 1/32 Airfix?
I know you guys won't let us down on anything!
cheers! Rick
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Well Jim
Enjoy Nuremberg nice city BTW.

Here is my doubt and question:
I would like to know if the trend seen regarding the production of modern armor subjects by Trumpeter and Hobbyboss is true.
Can we have a real release date and estimate public prize ??
Can we have a comment regarding the prize of new product such as AAVP from hobbyboss around 50 euros for a plastic kit ?? or 85 Euros for the forthcoming M1078 from Trumpeter.
How a plastic kit can have a prize nearly the same as a resin kit ???

What about new modern figures from different countries: US, Can, AUS, IT, SP, FRA, NL , DE????

What about the release of new french vehicle at 1/35 VBCI or a better version than the Heller one for the VAB ????

Since the humvee will be replace by up-armored one, any release of such kit in plastic, same question apply for the MRAP familly vehicle ??

Good luck Jim
Cheers
Seb
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
Ooow, Jim, just tease Trumpeter and ask them if they are mulling over a 1/16 JagdTiger
Snowhand
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
Since you are going there for the network, keep an eye out for any new car kits please

Thank Trumpeteer, AFV club, Hobby Boss and Bronco for their nice choices in subjects.
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:07 AM UTC
Have a safe journey Jim and enjoy yourself.
I guess my big question is when can we see more softskins in plastic, and when are they going to start a bigger lineup of Pacific theatre figures and vehicles?
We need someone offering more figures in Japanese, Australian, British, and Marines. Let's face it, the only decent plastic Japanese armor is FineMolds and that's tough to come by. The only way to build correct Pacific allied armor is to buy a bunch of expensive conversion resin, or scratch build it. I'm not against scratching it myself, but I think more people would do Pacific theatre if they could build OOB.
The only decent selection of softskins is from resin companies and that runs into big dollars for the budget minded. Both allies and axis had a tremendous amount of wheeled vehicles and it would be nice if someone would offer more than an Opel Blitz or a duece and a half.
Most of all, enjoy yourself and come home safely.
Sudzonic
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,096 posts
Armorama: 1,983 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
Have a great time jim

Could you ask hobby boss about future leo 2's and the posibility of doing berge panzer's and the like.
 _GOTOTOP