_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Thin skin
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC
This has got to draw some comment. Just bought my first thin skin in 20 years{I hear you gunnie} A hummer. So I dont know which mod this is a1 a2 ect its a four door with some
large box hanging off the back can this be converted to the standard 4dr?
Is this version recon cav or what? how about a web site on this vechile.
Thanks
ponysoldier

THE HORSE THE GUN THE MAN.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
Like the actual trucks themselves, all Hummers are basically the exact same kit with a rear compartment that can be swapped with any other. Yours sounds a lot like the "Desert Patrol" Hummer by Italeri. This version was not accepted for use by the Army or Marines. All Italeri, Revell of Germany and Tamiya HMMWV kits are the exact same wheels, body, chassis and interior. The only difference is the doors (hard or soft doors, 2 or 4-door) and the roof/body.

Not the best HMMWV kit around, but it does fit well and builds up into a nice looking truck. The standard hardtop Hummer is the M1025/1026 or the TOW equipped M966/1036. There are several of these kits available so you ought to just build the one you have OOB.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:24 AM UTC
Thanks sabot I'll find the tow kit hopefully Ican post some pics soon

ponysoldier
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 07:34 PM UTC
Just give me a holler, I've built just about every Hummer kit (from each manufacturer). Someone else pointed me to the Academy M966 (kit #1363). It contains everything the M1025 (kit #1350) and then some, including a couple of driver figures. They also have the best 2-door first sergeant's Hummer (#1362).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This has got to draw some comment. Just bought my first thin skin in 20 years{I hear you gunnie} A hummer. So I dont know which mod this is a1 a2 ect its a four door with some
large box hanging off the back can this be converted to the standard 4dr?
Is this version recon cav or what? how about a web site on this vechile.
Thanks
ponysoldier

THE HORSE THE GUN THE MAN.

First off PonySoldier - I congratulate you on your fine choice of subject matter Wheeled vehicles are where it's at!

I've built all the Hummer models too - and like them all for different reasons - all they need is a little attention.

I fancied the idea of a Hummer model website - and actually began penning a modeler's reference book a few years ago. The idea grew into the website that I have today. The book idea is one I'm still tossing around...

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
Would you say that the Academy kit is worth a build? (kit #1363) I could stand to buy an AFV kit from a company other than Tamiya for a change.
I think I'll be getting the compressor tomorrow, Saturday the26th. (for real this time!!!) I could use a single color model kit to try out the new AB. (I know, I've said I'd use about a half-dozen kits for the first airbrushed kit...)

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you say that the Academy kit is worth a build? (kit #1363) I could stand to buy an AFV kit from a company other than Tamiya for a change.
I think I'll be getting the compressor tomorrow, Saturday the26th. (for real this time!!!) I could use a single color model kit to try out the new AB. (I know, I've said I'd use about a half-dozen kits for the first airbrushed kit...)

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!

Absolutely. All the Academy Hummer kits are fine representatives of the HMMWV. The M997 Ambulance is particularly interesting.

Gunnie
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
So, where exactly would I find this kit? Is it OOP?
I looked on Squadron- nothing
I looked on MissionModels- nothing (actually, I didn't see any Academy)
Great Models- not ordering from there!

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So, where exactly would I find this kit? Is it OOP?
I looked on Squadron- nothing
I looked on MissionModels- nothing (actually, I didn't see any Academy)
Great Models- not ordering from there!

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!

Yes, the Academy M997 Ambulance has been OOP for a couple of years now. All of them (the Academy series of Hummers) are trickling down off the shelves - so get them when you see them. Instead of looking at the big model kit retailers, switch to some of the smaller ones, where the inventory doesn't turn as quickly or as often.

If you're interested, I'll keep my feelers out, and snag one for you if successful in finding one...

Gunnie
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:37 PM UTC
hehe

I am working on the Tamiya Bushmaster right now.. was a bit shocked to hear all kits are same (are they really ??).. thought I do myself some good by getting a quality kit... looks a bit like a waste of money now.....

Hey Yodaman.. sooo same situation here I got myself a Passche double action some weeks ago along with some cans of compressed air... airbrush works great but those cans.. stuf that man! Gotta shake those bitches all the time to get at least a bit of pressure outta em.. not worth it.. well yeah.. compressors are nice but I have no garage to put it in and silent ones are bloody expensive
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're interested, I'll keep my feelers out, and snag one for you if successful in finding one...

Thanks Gunnie! There's not a whole lot of armor in this town. I haven't seen Tamiya's new Sherman anywhere yet. (that's a yes, by the way. I'm interested) How much would the kit be? It is 1:35, right?
I think the one I'm looking for is the M-966 Hummer with TOW, but one of the other Hummers would be fine. You can talk to Sabot to find out if I do good buisness.
I appreciate your help! :-)

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
Maxpain, check out the thead about the Campbell Hausfeld FP 2003 compressor at Wal Mart here and there (actually, you should click 'there' first) The compressor should be around $90. Read more in those threads to find out more.

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:17 AM UTC
Thanks for the linkage Yoda :-) :-) :-)

Looks great...

only problem being that there is no Walmart in Austrlia

QUOTE WALMART FAQ:
International Shipping

We're sorry, at this time we do not ship internationally. The only exceptions are APO/FPO addresses and major offshore territories and possessions of the United States.

Cheapest compressor I've seen here in Oz would be:
WE1000 - HOBBY AIR COMPRESSOR $199.00 (oz $ that is... roughly US $99)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am working on the Tamiya Bushmaster right now.. was a bit shocked to hear all kits are same (are they really ??)....

There are basically 3 HMMWV kits (not variants).

1. There is the Academy, which is best and comes in Ambulance, Armored and Troop/cargo configurations.

2. There is the Italeri kit and all its variants (Armored, Desert Patrol, Avenger, SF ADA, TOW, Commando). Tamiya and Revell of Germany have each boxed a variant or two. But all these kits are the same chassis and body. No real interior besides the seats and steering wheel.

3. There is the Esci kits which are in Armored, Ambulance(?) and Avenger variants. AMT/Ertl have also boxed some of these.

4. There is a Lee kit which is a copy of a combination of the Academy and Italeri kits.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

only problem being that there is no Walmart in Austrlia

Oops.
Guess I forgot that minor detail.....

Quoted Text

There are basically 3 HMMWV kits (not variants).

Wow, I guess I didn't know that manufacturers used the same models so much. Where do you find all this info, Rob? We should call you 'Mr Encyclopedia'!

YodaMan
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 09:56 AM UTC
max pain put your can in some warm water, you wont have to shake so often.
Also your pressure will be more even

ponysoldier

THEHORSE THE GUN THE MAN
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, I guess I didn't know that manufacturers used the same models so much. Where do you find all this info, Rob?

Experience. When the HMMWV first hit the scene in the late 80s, everyone wanted a kit of one. Esci and Italeri both put out a hard top variant and labeled them M998. I picked up one of each and having the ability to look in the motorpool, I was able to discern which kit was a better likeness (Italeri). Then both Italeri and Esci then put out different variants. I bought another Italeri kit (several different ones actually) and discovered each was basically the same kit except for the sprue that holds the roof/doors/upper body. I then bought the Tamiya one and it was the same as the Italeri one with a different roof/upper body sprue. Same with the 2 Revell of Germany ones (got them for $5 a piece at the local shop).

Having bought the Academy one in 1996, it was easy to see it was superior to the Italeri and Esci ones. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that the M966 boxing of the Academy kit was superior to the M1025 boxing. Of course these HMMWVs are basically the same kit with extra sprues added for the first variant.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
I am building the tow version from italeri right now and love it. It seems to go together really well. The one thing I would be careful about is not to sand to much because it fits nicely together and if you sand some items to much it will leave some gaps. I am in the finishing phase of the model. I am going to finish it as a hummer at th end of desert storm with a lot of the paint chipping off (thanks for the earlier heads up Sabot).

I got a couple books on the hummer and like the concord one by Carl Schulze the best. It has great pictures, especially of what I want to do and newer. And they are all color.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
Like I said in the second post above, the Italeri kits build up nicely, are finely detailed and well engineered. It's just not the most accurate one around.
 _GOTOTOP