_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SA-2 versus HQ-2 differences
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:53 AM UTC
I know the HQ-2 missle is not a copy of the SA-2, but closely similar. So what is the difference, externally, or is there any? I wondered when I saw that Trumpeter makes both kinds on their respective nations' transport trucks, but ironically only makes the SA-2 on the launcher.
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Buddy,I got both versions and i have to say that there is no difference between the missile and it`s transport trailer.The major difference is in the tractor unit used to pull it,The Russian version is a straight copy of the Zil-157 with a towing table and two spare wheels added to the back,the Chinese Version has different mudguards,radiator and light arrangements to it.
Hope this answers your questions.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 08:11 PM UTC
About the trucks, you have some of the differences right here:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr00204-5detail.htm

For further info about the kits, look here:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr00204-5.htm

Just scroll down. About the missiles, they look the same for me, maybe the main difference is the internal equipment, being the Russian version more reliable, methinks. Best regards.

José.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks. I already knew about the truck differences; it was the missile I wondered about. I also know the Chinese missile can fit on the Soviet one.

Actually I wondered why Trumpeter didn't do a set of Chinese missile markings for the launcher-based missile while they were at it. Looking it up, it seems the Chinese actually still use the HQ-2 for defense while the Russians finally retired it.
 _GOTOTOP