_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Which Are the Good T-34 Kits?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
Having had my fill of KV-1s and IIs, I'm looking to acquire some T-34s. There are so many kits out there, including from my favorite makers (DML and Tamiya). Some of the kits are a bit ancient and not very good, others are well-detailed. I was wondering if there's a list of the ones worth getting, besides the later DML offerings. Are the Tamiya kits up to today's standards in detailing, accuracy, etc.?
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hi Bill,

Tamiya has both a T-34/76 and a T-34/85, however both kits are rather old and simplified. In my opinion, they can be assembled easily and fit nice, good for beginners. They also cost less than competitor's T-34s. However, if you want a T-34 with lots of detail and high accuracy, Tamiya kits will not satisfy you. Both kits also have vinyl tracks (which I despise). Not really up to today's standards, as they are older kits.

There's also the Zvezda option. While I don't like their plastic a lot, their T-34/85 will look good with a little work. As far as I know, dimension-wise this is one of the truest T-34 kits available, yet overall detail is weaker compared to DML offerings. Before the DML kits, these T-34 kits were in high regard in Turkey with their low cost and good detail compared to price. As far as I remember, Zvezda's tracks were not vinyl, but since I tend to throw away or trade my vinyl tracks as soon as I purchase a kit, I might be mistaken. Up to standards, well hard to say. You have to pour more work into this one, it is between a Tamiya and a DML in that regard.

The newer DML kits surpass these in terms of both detail and price. I haven't built one yet and own two of these (their #6205 - 1941T-34/76 and #6313 - the premium 1944 T-34/85). They look nice on the sprues, but if they are totally correct detailwise or dimension-wise, I have no idea. Still, the plastic and the quality of individual parts is much better in comparison to Zvezda and Tamiya. DML kits (the ones I have) have separate plastic track links.

Finally speaking, in Turkey, a DML T-34 costs about twice as much as a Tamiya or Zvezda (which are about the same price). If you want to build out of the box with nice detail, you might opt to work with DML. If you want to über-detail, scratchbuild or engage in any similar activity, you might choose Zvezda and upgrade that for lower cost on the base kit.

Hope this info helps. Ah, if you are going to buy DML, make sure you get one of the newer ones
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having had my fill of KV-1s and IIs, I'm looking to acquire some T-34s. There are so many kits out there, including from my favorite makers (DML and Tamiya). Some of the kits are a bit ancient and not very good, others are well-detailed. I was wondering if there's a list of the ones worth getting, besides the later DML offerings. Are the Tamiya kits up to today's standards in detailing, accuracy, etc.?

The Dragon and Cyber Hobby kits now on the market include individual link "Magic Tracks" (which require minimal clean-up and friction fit together until you apply a little liquid cement), as well as photoetch parts. With the exception of the Cyber Hobby STZ T-34 with the wedge shaped mantlet, they are all well-engineered and accurate (that CH release had an upper hull that simply didn't fit, and a mismatched engine deck hatch that didn't fit either--apparently someone really screwed up and released a kit that wasn't ready).
The Tamiya kits are relics of the 1970's, and would cost a lot of money to put right.
The RPM/Maquette kits are really rough, though they do offer the rare 1945-46 T-34-85 turret with the separated ventilators (it's also been offered as a separate conversion part, so you don't have to buy the whole kit). The Maquette early T-34 kits are more like in-box conversions, since you have to saw up the original T-34-85 hull to backdate it, and the early turrets are very crudely molded. Some of the T-34-85 boxings include a basic engine and transmission. Link to link styrene tracks are included (old school-don't expect Dragon style fit).
Zvezda/Italeri/Revell-Germany offer some basically accurate T-34 kits (same molds, and boxed by all three companies at various times), but again, most of the variants are now covered by Dragon, and the Zvezda offerings will require aftermarket photoetch and new tracks (the stiff vinyl tracks are not good). Maquette did offer individual link tracks as a separate (and cheap) upgrade, but they are hard to find now.
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 05:54 PM UTC

I'm in agreement with what has already been posted. My personal vote is for the Dragon T-34s, from both a price and engineering standpoint. They're well done kits that build up nicely, and I think most of them look great OOB. There are a bunch of variants out there, too, so you've got plenty of choices. I've managed to find a few of them on eBay over the past year or so, opened but still sealed inside, for around $20, plus shipping.

BTW, how does one get his fill of KV-1 kits????

-YL
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, how does one get his fill of KV-1 kits????

-YL

By building all different Trumpeter offerings
KAYELL
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC
In my opinion some of the Eastern European kits ie Maquette and Alan (probably re boxings of the same) are cheap and with a bit of work and patience can produce some good results. The Tamiya kits can also be found cheaply and just fall together.

You basically get what you pay for, hence Dragon being the best for detail but you still need patience to add the detail to the kit.

In my humble opinion that is.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks, everyone, for the detailed and thoughtful replies.

I always use Friul tracks unless they don't exist (LVT-4 Water Buffalo) or are inappropriate (Shermans), so the Magic Tracks are good only if I'm going to sell them!

Are all the Dragon T-34s good? The 1940 and '41 versions look like early DML offerings. Are they as good as their later Premium kits for accuracy? I plan on adding fenders and PE anyway, so this is more a question of accuracy.

Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are all the Dragon T-34s good? The 1940 and '41 versions look like early DML offerings. Are they as good as their later Premium kits for accuracy? I plan on adding fenders and PE anyway, so this is more a question of accuracy.

As Gerald pointed out, with the exception of the CH STZ kit, almost all the Dragon T-34s are accurate. The T-34/76 Mod. 40 and 41 kits (#6092 and #6205 respectively) along with the German Army version (#6185) are all well-designed, accurate models overall. IIRC, the '40 doesn't have any PE. The '41 comes with a small fret for the engine intake grille and ice cleats straps, and the German Army version has the PE and includes a metal gun barrel as well.

-YL
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks, that's VERY helpful.

Did the 1940 version see a lot of action in the early stages of Barbarossa?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 05:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, everyone, for the detailed and thoughtful replies.

I always use Friul tracks unless they don't exist (LVT-4 Water Buffalo) or are inappropriate (Shermans), so the Magic Tracks are good only if I'm going to sell them!

They are not early offerings. In fact these kits are scarcely two years old. The Premium kits are updates of the T-34-85 kits, which are about eight years old. Originally, Dragon did not include photoetch for the very prominent rear engine screens, but they relented and these are now included, along with a modified plastic part with the appropriate opening.
The Model 1940 with the L-11 gun saw significant action in the opening campaigns of the war (indeed, that was its only use). Initially, the longer (and more accurate) F-34 gun was included only on a percentage of tanks, as its adoption had not been sanctioned by Moscow, and the engineers were acting on their own authority. When happy tank crews wrote to "Comrade Stalin" and asked for more, the F-34 gun was hastily approved for full production.
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC
See my review of the Hobby Boss T34:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3583

Honestly, at that price, with that detail and accuracy, it's a no brainer. I really enjoyed building it (tracks excepted) and I think it should be on everyone's "must build" list. It's quite literally the Trumpeter 1/16 kit shrunk to quarter scale, in terms of detail. It shames a lot of 1/35 kits.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Thanks, Gerald, I will keep an eye out for a good price on a 1940.

Jason, alas, that kit's quarter scale. I only build 1/35.
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 1940 and '41 versions look like early DML offerings.

Quoted Text

They are not early offerings. In fact these kits are scarcely two years old.

IIRC, the '40 and '41 versions of the Dragon T-34 came out in '03-'04. Not quite "scarcely two years old", but then again, not "early offerings", either.

Good kits either way, and well worth the build.

-YL
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
Bill,

I've built the Dragon T-34/85....and had no problems with it. The only thing I did to change it was add an Anubis turret. Worthy enough, I'll probably get another down the road for an Egyptian conversion.

Mike
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC
Sounds like DML is the way to go. Right now there are a lot of Tamiya kits on eBay for anyone interested. Some are at bargain prices ($10).
monkybutt
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 08:16 AM UTC
didnt read the entire thread so someone has probably already said this.......but dragon's t34/85 with bed spring armor is GREAT!!!! i built it with no problems and its a really good deal..it comes with an aluminum barrel and photo etched parts for all the important stuff like leather straps, the bed spring armor, etc (except the fenders). the detail is great as well as the decals which come with a bunch of options and extra numbers and letters to make your own vehicle.

look at my forum posts if you want....i have one with a couple pics
alfa10
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
I'm working on a cyber hobby T-34 (#6452) at the moment, and it is an excellent kit. Pretty much fell together, and comes with lots of extras/spares. This is my first T-34, and I'm really enjoying it. I don't know if it is totally accurate, perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
What is the difference between the Cyberhobby KRASNOE SORMOVO and the Dragon Smart Kit with the same name?
alfa10
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the difference between the Cyberhobby KRASNOE SORMOVO and the Dragon Smart Kit with the same name?

The C-H kit is early production, while the Dragon kit is mid-to-late. A couple of small details are different, though not a great deal from what I can tell.
 _GOTOTOP