_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter Sturmtiger 1:72- is it any good?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 391 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC
Looking around it seems to only readily available kit in this scale - On The Way don't currently have a review of it (though it is great to see that site being updated again!). Does anyone around here have a strong opinion of it?

Cheers

A
p96260
Visit this Community
Guangdong, China / 简体
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
I'v made a EARLY TYPE last year, just so so.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:51 AM UTC
The other option seems to be the Dragon offering with the metal hull - which got a lukewarm review on OTW...
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Andronicus, I'veheard some mixed reviews of the model. I would be inclined to get both Trumpeters and Dragons and combine both kits together.
Charlie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 257 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi yes it make into a god model the onley fault i found was the
track but if you stapel them that solved t.
yours cyril
Andronicus
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 09:37 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses - I think I'll stick with the Trumpeter (my Birthday coming up so am compiling a list! )

Cheers

A
mauricethebear2009
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hiya,
The trumpeter Sturmtiger is rather nicely made..the wheels are nice and if you use superglue the tracks hold together fine..i usually use a clamp to hold the join till it sets solid then paint the tracks...seeing as this is the only real 2 choices of this mobile pillarbox in this scale available i think we're lucky to even see it released to be honest..it could probably be made a lot better if it had Photo Etched parts,but i for one am not complaining as i never thought i'd see these two models in this scale..thankfully Trumpeter are stepping from the norm with their German military quite a bit...i'm waiting for the half tracks with guns on..the Hasagawa offerings are dreadful..the tracks are appalling..i have thought about using a spare set of tracks off a Dragon sdkfz 251and if possible use the wheels off it as well to build up the V2 launch control half track..i'm still toying with the idea..the Planet model resin kit is just one solid block of resin..but yes the Sturmtiger in 1/72 scale is rather nice..even the tracks are nice on it and spokes on the front track wheels have open sprockets unlike the awful Dragon version!! The only real complaint i've heard about the Trumpeter model is the tools are moulded to the to the sides of the vehicle..i can't see that being a dreadful problem though!

Steve in the UK
firstcircle
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
I believe this is the kit featured in the items "Sturmtiger in a jar" on the front page of this very site, isn't it?

Char seems to have made a good job of it . . .
 _GOTOTOP