_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman tracks
mmdm4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
Does anyone know of a source for aftermarket tracks that are for a Sherman as used on Iwo Jima? I picked up a Squadron Signal book on armor used on Iwo and would like to model a Marine Corps Sherman but most of the ones pictured in the book have the grousers or duckbills affixed. I'm looking for a set of tracks with duckbills.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 06:05 AM UTC
Mark, Panda Plastics has what you need; www.shermantracks.com. They do superb LTL tracksets for most of the VVSS track types. They also sell sets of duckbills separately. recommended.
Greg
mmdm4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
Thanks Greg I'll check that site later. I'll let you know but it sounds like they may have what I'm looking for.
mmdm4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Greg, I checked out the website and you are right they have eveerything I was looking for! On top of that I also found a shop nearby that carries that line and when I talked to them they said Sherman builders swear by these tracks. I'll be going there Sat. to pick up some stuff. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hmmm Illinois: maybe you're referring to M&M? Regardless, Panda stuff IS sweet. Just make sure you keep the final tracks very taught -- this was needed with this design unlike what you see on a Panther or a KV-1.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 03:06 AM UTC
Mark, another option is the DML late M4A2 pto, it comes with 2 sets of DS tracks T54 with duckbills and without. Just an idea, Im not sure the price of the pandas with the addition of the end connectors but if its close this could be a way to do it and get another kit
mmdm4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Roy, I was referring to M & M and apparently they are well know enough for you to know of them in Mich. Have you ever been to the shop or do you mail order? It's a pretty small shop but it's packed full of goodies. And Eric I will check on that DML kit when I go there Sat. Thanks again. When I called the shop yesterday I was told th eSherman expert would be there Sat. so I will refer all my questions to him.
 _GOTOTOP