_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Here is the Dragon Wagon Dio concept (pics)
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:07 PM UTC
I have posted a few pics in the last week or two of the Dragon Wagon that I am currently working on. Well, I have started to build the base for this monster and thought that I would give some current progress pics and the diorama story concept around the scene.

What the base depicts is France, around July or August 1944.

This scene is based on a story that I read years and years ago and has always stuck in my memory. I am not sure exactly where this event took place but I know it was in the summer of 1944 in France. I always thought it would make a wonderful diorama and when Tamiya released its incredible Dragon Wagon kit I thought that this would be the opportunity to build this scene.

The first photo has a "map" of the diorama. As you can see, there will be a sidewalk on the far side of the wagon with associated burned out buildings. There will be a large amount of debris strewn throughout the scene making it clear that this is indeed a VERY war torn town. The green dots show where the US personal figures will be placed (approximate). The blue dots show the placement of French civilians. Now that I have mapped it out a little for you I will explain the story behind the scene.

The dragon wagon has positioned itself in preparation of picking up an obviously out of commission Sherman. The Sherman will be detailed to clearly show that it has been hit and burned. The hatches have been closed and tied shut.
As the crew begins to pull the draw cables out of the spools on the wagon a pair of young French ladies have rode up on bikes bringing a small child with them. A pair of MP's in a Jeep sit on the bridge, waiting for the road to clear. The child has walked up to one of the recovery crewmen and is being lifted up by him so that she can reach out and lay flowers on the closed hatch of the Sherman. The Sherman already has many different bouquets of flowers laid on it as well as other evidence of reverence, (i.e. scarfs, perhaps a few chalk thank you's written on the sides).

The crew of this Sherman, now incinerated and entombed in their destroyed tank had spent the last few days defending this village and when the crew was killed in battle, the remaining people of the town took the time to memorialize the crew by placing flowers on the tank.
Now this little French girl is taking the time to thank this brave crew for defending her home by placing flowers on their tomb.

So there you go, that is the story behind the scene.

In the first photo in the series you see the overview of the whole scene. Now I realize that it looks as though the wagon is hanging over the edge of the base but it is really not, just an illusion in the shot. The base depicts a canal street, a common site throughout France. In researching the different types of canal walls and edges I discovered that many lacked tall railings or curbs along the edge and some even had nothing at all! This was advantageous to the scene as a tall edge railing or wall would block a great portion of the scene. I chose to edge the canal wall with mooring timber.
I thought that this type of layout brings the wagon and the scene off the table top and gives the whole scene a bigger and better look than just a flat board with a street. (Plus I get to do some water work!)
The entire base so far is scratch built. I created a mold box on the base board itself and build an internal box that would allow me to pour the main section in plaster without have the fill the whole space. If I had not built this internal box the weight of the finished diorama would have gone way past 50 pounds or more! Right now it is about 10 pounds and shouldn't exceed 15 when I am done.
The wall of the canal was sculpted with dental tools after the plaster face of the wall had dried. The paint job on the base is the finished cement color, done in four shades. However it has not yet been weathered or given the final detail touches such as rain stains, moss and basic aging. That is usually the last thing I do when working on something like this.
The bridge is scratch built and is based on several wooden bridges that I had found references for while researching the scene. It is not based on any single bridge but I just incorporated some of the features that I liked in the ones I did find references for. The bridge is also shown in the basic paint job that uses both pre and post shading. It has been dry brushed and is ready for final weathering and a small amount of battle damage.

The base measures 31" inches by 16" inches.

I will post more update photos as the project begins to take shape.

CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 05:47 PM UTC
WOW!!!

touching story
very impressive
Great work
Chuck
:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
Now, mixed to all the drooling on my keyboard from watching all the great
pics on this site are a few tears...
No, very seriously, I'm really touched by that dio idea, and I have the feeling
it's a beautiful tribute to the soldiers who gave their life to the liberation
of the contry I live in and the destruction of an abominable regime (something
that we are talking about a lot in France right now).

The walls of the canal look great. What are you going to do for the water now ?
Use some polish to give it a "wet" look ? Or use some clear resin to give it more depth
and show the current ?

penpen
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:34 PM UTC
Man, this is just amazing... When I saw your DW, I thought you had talent. But this... well, I can just say that I'm looking forward to seeing more.

BTW, guys I think DGeraths works in conjunction with computer dealers. He was obviously employed to raise the sale rate of keyboards.. And he's doing a great job, I drooled out another one today...
Just kidding. Keep up the good work...

Mario M.

relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:36 PM UTC
Very nice creative thinking DGeraths, very good story and great looking setup of the players.

Looking forward to seeing the final product,

Anthony
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 08:11 PM UTC
Wow!
It's an impressive work, when it's finnally done it gonna be terrific! Don't forget to shows us every single detail
Keep up the excellent work
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
Wow, great dio! It looks to be quite a scene when it's finished. I really appreciate your sharing with us about the dio. As someone who's never built a dio before, it's helpfful to see all the phases that go into making one of these.

YodaMan
Go Red Wings!!!
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The walls of the canal look great. What are you going to do for the water now ?
Use some polish to give it a "wet" look ? Or use some clear resin to give it more depth
and show the current ?

penpen

Just wait... the water will be very cool... :^)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
How are we supposed to wait when you keep on sending us such great pics ?

Thanks, I'm learning a lot through your demonstration !

penpen
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 07:54 PM UTC
Very good I must say and very clean work area I wish mine was that clean.
again very good
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 10:03 PM UTC
In a word: FANTASTIC!

I love the story and it looks like your plan will make it very apparent at first glance. Now I'm re-looking at my own DW dio plan. I'll try not to steal too many ideas...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
That's a very touching story. Excellent for a diorama. The pics look good too. I really like the concrete effect on the canal wall.

Keep us updated! I also hope (as you are obviously keeping a great photograpic record of this project) that you can write up a article on this. Most of the writing is already here in the forum. lol

Jim
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC
I have actually seen the almost finished product, and its actually cool to see earlier shots and the progress made. I like the way you keep to your plan and carry it through to the end. I usually make changes whether it be my mood or shortcuts or find a better or easier way. Maybe I have learned something here. Lookin good. :-)
DGeraths
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have actually seen the almost finished product,

Okay, I'll bite... do you mean that you have seen this in person? I have only had it out of the house once since I started construction.
 _GOTOTOP