Hosted by Darren Baker
humvees hit the uk!
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
finally found tamiya's 1025 humvee in my local independent modelshop,the only drawback being it's priced at £24!thats not even close to the price our US friends pay,but still,nice to have it in my hands and added to the ever growing heap of unbuilt kits......If anyone can find the cheapest price in the UK,be it in the shops or by mail order,please post it here and help out the modellers of Rip Off Britain!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey Stufer, i can't begin to imagine what its going to cost when it arrives here in spain....
Jim
Victor123
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 02:34 PM UTC
Compare with internet order, £24 is still a bit higher than internet order,
You can order with US$28 from www.hlj.com
or US$26 from http://www.ent-mart.com

I got mine from ent-mart for 6 days shipping only.

I wonder why local hobby shop selling at such high price...
MajorNumpty
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
I paid $55 CDN for my M1025 at my local hobby store. $75 will get you Tamiya's T-55.
Victor123
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
wow!!CN$75 for T-55???
I got mine from ent-mart.com only US$38 with shipping
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
the prices here in the uk are sky high , i dont know how they justify them ,which in my opinion is leading to a demise of good local hobby shops ,its getting hard to encourage young newcomers to the hobby because of the expense ,which cannot be good for the hobby in the long term
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
too true that uk prices are crazy,but that doesn't stop the hunt for the cheapest!Where in the UK is the lowest price for the tamiya humvee? for example LSAModels are listing the new AFVClub StuartV for £19.99,£8 less than their competitors.So come on!post them low prices!
(++)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
Well, i gotta say, y'all are making me Dread the day I have to leave the Japan for the States. to show my point. i got the new Hummvee for about 18USD and the T55 for about 25USD. So that means to me i can get 3 or 4 hummvees for waht is beening charged in the states and 3 T55's for what I pay here. To my fellow sty mate, I have to say Email me [email protected] and we'll talk about getting your costs down, stug
cj_baller
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
i onkly paid £7.99 for my academy hummer,
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 02:18 AM UTC
Today,

I saw he Tamiya T- 55 in a toy store in Germany today for 55.95 Euros, that´s 65 USD!
That´s the highest price for the T- 55 that I have seen all around the world. For that price I get two at Ent- Mart including shipping!
Bet, they won´t sell it...

Violetrock
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Don't complain about UK prices so much - at least you have Hasegawa kits MUCH cheaper than they are here in Poland. I order them from Hannant's and save about 20% of local price!

Regards,
Pawel
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC
true,i do live in Norwich,so Hannants is only a short trainride away,the pro's and cons of the UK model scene.....just trying to share the knowledge :-)
(++)
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
CJ, is that the Humvee with the tow launcher by Academy? If it is i made that kit two years ago I was well pleased with it plenty of cargo and three pretty good figures well worth seven quid. £25 for a Tamyia Humvee not for I. all the best
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
well......it was payday and i'd run out of books to buy....time to tidy the sty
Savage
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC
It is true that Kits in the UK are very expensive, but this is how I think about it:

Tamiya T-55 Price £34.99

My way of thinking:
Trumpeter T-55 (on special) Price £ 7.50
Etched parts for the Trumpeter kits Price £10.30
Or
SKIF T-55 Price £17.99

Look, don’t get me wrong, I love Tamiya kits, they are great and every time I find a reasonably priced one I grab it. I just think £30.00 plus for a single kit is very steep. Using a few references, some Milliput and the PE or resin parts available for the kit almost anything comes out looking quite good. Looking through some books and a few websites, I am amazed at what some people are doing with kits that are not so good out the box.
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 10:11 PM UTC
Hi there

Another Brit here. Got 3 Tamiya Humvees last week via HLJ, for about £40-£50! Took over a month from shipping date, but here non the less.
Haven't seen them turn up at Hannants yet, at least I missed it if it was in their newsletter.

Stufer, nice to know people in Norwich travel to Lowestoft for their kits. I grew up in Lowestoft, and Norwich was always the place to go. I live in Bedford now, but my folks still live in Oulton Broad, so naturally any visit home and I'm simply obliged to check out the warehouse! Yes prices are expensive, but bargains can be found.

I hold Hannants directly responsible for my habit, I mean hobby! They were just a high street store when I got hooked (aged 10), but fair play to them now.

all the best

Rob

PS. It is an excellent kit. A few short comings, but probably better than the rest, IMHO
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
hi , i will let you in on a secret why uk prices are so high, last year by mistake i obtained a trade catalogue with the price charged by the wholeseller and the price charged to customers , if a kit was £10 by the wholeseller who sells it to the retailer , the retailer is told to sell it at £25-00 , if they try to undercut the price the wholeseller will not supply them any more , who is setting the prices the producers of the kits , they try to get as much as they think the market will stand , that is why there is different prices for each country , wish i still had the catalogue , cheers ian
stufer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Now you mention it,a friend of mine set up business a coupla years ago selling Star Wars kits and figures,in his trade catalog were a whole bunch of kits at wholesale prices.Savage,you're totally right,milliput and PE do go a long way,i guess i'm getting lazy in my old age,and as soon as i'm chained down with family i wont be able to get away with new kits at new prices! RobH,you know Hannants are having another 10%off day on 23rd August?great excuse for seeing the family!
 _GOTOTOP