_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
DML JS and JSU series
russo_jap
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 10:10 AM UTC
I am just getting back into building kits after a 5 year time off to get married and become a father. DML use to make the JS1,2,2m and JSU-122 and China version JSU -152. I can not find these kits any where now. Are they still made, does anyone stock these kits. I have a China JSU-152 is this really the same a the russian, just a different way to sell it?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
The kits can still be found on local shelves. They were well done and fairly popular. I had both the JS2 and JSU-122, and they looked good. Someone just made me a real decent offer and I traded them away.

Don't write off the Italeri JS2 though, it is just as nice.
russo_jap
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
I have check all of the store around me and all of the online stores with no luck, cant find any manufacture for them. IF any knows of any let me know.
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 12:59 PM UTC
There is a place here in Maryland that occasionally carries one if not both those DML models. Called GPA Hobbies.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
well, overall, the Zvezda/Italeri JS-II is probably the most accurate...but also harder to build than the DML kit. I am not usre if the JSU series upper hull will fit on the Italeri lower hull. The biggest problem is that the area betweent he return rollers and the fenders is a little too tight...spacers onthe DML lower may help as well.

And you can go to http://www.greatmodels.com go to the Database button, and type in DML JS ...this will show you what is available from them.
russo_jap
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thank you. Does anyone know if thse are just temp dicontinued of is this going to be perment.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
History has shown that these kits have all been reissued at least once over the years.

also, try ebay for kits.
Fredzerat
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
I built both:
DML kit is better than Zvezda/Italeri one for accuracy, fine modeling and separate links.
The modeling of rough steel if far better on DML
Zvzezda is cheaper but much more available...
In DML kit, the only difference between chinese & russian ISU-152 are the way the front plates are welded (Differs on the plant; ChTZ Cheliabinsk Tractar Plant or UmtZ Uralmach Tractor Plant) (Unseenable when spare tracks are mounted at the front...) and the presence in the kit of a 12.7mm Dshk.
Not to say: no difference
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 01:05 PM UTC
Actually, the Zvezda/Italeri kit is better for accuracy than the DML kit of the JS-II, specifically in the space of the fenders over the track and also the size of the roadwheels. I agree the DML surface texture is better.

As for the JSU-152...same problems as above, but the Italeri/Zvezda kit is not as good.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:39 PM UTC
I am currently building the DML jsu122 as a conversion to a BTT1. The quality of the kit, fit of parts I have found to be excellent. There is one serious problem though as has been mentioned above in that the hull sits too low on the chassis. Also there are no sponson floors so my plan to rectify both these problems is to cut off and replace the fenders completely to fill the sponson gap and as part of the front fender units raise the front of the hull by about 1-2mm. Test fit of this shows it looks ok and does not destroy the symmetry of the hull on the chassis. It is not really possible to raise the rear end as this would involve serious surgery with a complete rear new plate. Other than that the kit is fine.

You can still pick these kits up in the uk with not too much problem - check out www.kitbox.co.uk

Lee
Fredzerat
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
BTT-1...
Nice idea, Ialready did this from Royal Models I think...
Very nice, but a lot to do, and a lot of pieces where missing in my kit...
Will try to send pix of mine.
It is an egyptian BTT-1 mod.62
Do youneed pics of actual model?
 _GOTOTOP