_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
1/35 trumpeter t-54A model 1951
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I remember, I'll test Pro-Weld on the Tiran over the weekend and we'll see what happens.

Test complete! I tried Pro-Weld on the gun, which I shall be discarding cos it's gash. Kevin, it's probably too late if you cast those replacement guns from the kit, but a much better option is to pinch one from somewhere else. Mine will be sporting the gun from a Tamiya Type 74. Anyway, I've discovered a number of things:

1 Pro-Weld works on these kits. Yay!
2 The plastic is very soft - absurdly soft, in fact. You have to be very careful trimming it.
3 Fit is poor - there are gaps along the barrel, the two sides don't line up, and the locating pins inside it prevent either problem being corrected.
4 The gun is bent! Just ahead of the bore evacuator it angles a few degrees to the right.

Apart from that, though, it's a Tiran for twelve quid, and one of my lingering questions about it is answered.
tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi kevin,

I know where you're going with this, one would have done, what are you going to use for a figure?

Craig

It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain "Square" and a young man standing in front of and stopping a column of approaching tanks would it ?

Alan

yes it is the certain square with the figure.. and its coming to the 20th anniversary now.. i dont want to elaborate more as i think you guys will have seen the photo, and i dont want the thread and site to turn into a political mudslingfest should their side of the fence come running amok.. and in anycase i was always wondering why i can't find a single pic of anyone doing such a diorama even though it is arguably 1 of the most famous photos in the late 20th century.. (though i do know of the FSM april? 2002 issue)
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 02:39 AM UTC
your insane
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 11:47 PM UTC
Looking good Kevin. I've been following your build and must say what your doing with those old T54's is great. I started my two ESCI T55's and thought they were in bad shape and needed a lot of work, but after reading your posts I guess they are not so bad. I will have to pick up one of those T54's and give it a go myself.
Oh ya, you are insane for doing 4 at once, my hat goes off to you. I look forward to more updates of your T54's, keep'm goming.

Rob
PanzerMike
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
Armorama: 162 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 01:10 PM UTC
Looks like you have put in alot of work so far , i think you will be rewarded with a good looking finished product in the end i like that you are working with this kit instead of just going with the latest high tech Dragon/ Tamiya kit - much respect
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you have put in alot of work so far , i think you will be rewarded with a good looking finished product in the end i like that you are working with this kit instead of just going with the latest high tech Dragon/ Tamiya kit - much respect

This is where it shows who is a good modeler. It's easy to build a DML/Tamiya/better Trumpeter kit. But when it comes to the mis-engineered, terrible ones, that's when true talent shows. For me it's usually disappointment... I'll stick with the better kits. (Just built the Vickers A kit from Mirage, and man, it turned out bad.)
Cudos to Kevin
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi kevin,

I know where you're going with this, one would have done, what are you going to use for a figure?

Craig

It wouldn't have anything to do with a certain "Square" and a young man standing in front of and stopping a column of approaching tanks would it ?

Alan

yes it is the certain square with the figure.. and its coming to the 20th anniversary now.. i dont want to elaborate more as i think you guys will have seen the photo, and i dont want the thread and site to turn into a political mudslingfest should their side of the fence come running amok.. and in anycase i was always wondering why i can't find a single pic of anyone doing such a diorama even though it is arguably 1 of the most famous photos in the late 20th century.. (though i do know of the FSM april? 2002 issue)

I think you're doing a great job on a defining moment in the world. I know this will come out golden from your efforts. For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to that Man among men who did that act of defiance that day. I hope he lives in peace or died in his sleep of old age...
Best regards,
Rick
tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
first time doing track sag,stuff paper and superglue the joint. the bad thing is that the rubbery tracks dont react well to superglue!!

so many pattern of making track sag and making sure the superglue stays!!

and painted the MG and barrel covers in khaki green with brownish post shade for that canvas look

ok then times 4

update. took out the paper stuffing, and the track sprang right back up. MAJOR FAIL. now i'm going to leave the super glue to dry and harden completely, then scrape it off, and use contact glue tomorrow.

tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
i bought a cheap 2 part epoxy hoping it will join the 2.. didnt work out either.. sprang back like automatic recoil after overnight settling for a 10minute dry putty..

of course, i have a never say die attitude man.. bring on the weapons of second last resort!
i drilled holes at the hull, and inserted wire rods..

now that will do it!

but the tracks did not sag to touch the wheels, meaning that the glue and putty marks can be seen. ah well i just going to paint over later , cant be bothered anymore..

pile 'em high!

followed by painitng the details, headlights, tow cables and some hatch chipping..

tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 - 07:07 PM UTC
finishing touches on the turret sans the antennaes.

cobbled a figure together from 1/35 tamiya general macarthur and 2 sleeve arms from spare unknown figures given to me by a friend.

i'm not the best figure painter and neither the best sculptor so do bear with the crappy quality of the figure. of course, the Tank Man is very important for this diorama so i will go make another one eventually, on the 30th anniversary?

not foregetting, the base of the diorama itself. i used the daler-rowney prepainted cardboard . used tamiya 5mm masking tape for the yellow lines, and sprayed white on them for the white zebra crossing. as i am posting, the paint is drying for the 2nd vertical section of the diorama for the backdrop. as you can see from the picture that is my foot which is a size 9. so the base is almost 90cm long.

rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:38 PM UTC
Great job on building a diorama of a historical event. A couple of notes FYI, what you have built are actually PLA Type 59-II. These were licence built T-54s that later had the 100mm main armament upgraded to 105mm guns. Also those "tool boxes" you referred to are actually fuel tanks and the "ammo" boxes are actually tool/storage boxes (also referred to as "zip boxes"). Another note and I may be wrong here but the Type 59 never had provisions for mounting the rear fuel drums so there shouldn't be any drum mounting brackets there. I really like the cammo job you did on your 59s. Great job.

Roy
HuangHe
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC
Chinese expressed concern about it. haha...
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC
hi kevin i've been following your blog . excellent stuff . i'm gathering materials to do the tamiya t55a . nothing exciting . now i would like to know what camera you are using as your photographs are so crisp . and hey i lived in Singapore for 3 years , Changi army camp Biggin Hill rd . as my dad was posted to the military hospital as wardmaster . lots of great memories . keep up the good stuff
tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 05:02 PM UTC
done!

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/140322&page=1
rolfdenver
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:02 PM UTC
Ah... got my answer! Excellent!

And now I understand why you used the 54 rather than Trumpeter's 59 kit. Thanks.
 _GOTOTOP