_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trumpeter T-54 model 51' to T-55 model 70'
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:05 PM UTC
Well, here is my current project, a Trumpeter T-54 model 1951 that I'll convert into a T-55 model 1970. Here is the kit to use:

And I have the spare wheels from another Trumpeter T-55:

EDIT: This is what I want achieve:

Lots of flash, bad fitting and dimensional and accuracy issues, some of them will be corrected, and some will remain because nobody will notice them, I think. Here is the progress so far:

You can compare my modified Trumpeter turret with an unmodified Trumpeter turret. This is what I've done: I corrected a little the shape (with a lot of sanding, using the Tamiya turret and pics found in the web and some from my personal collection), moved the cannon line a little offset to the right, relocated the loader's periscope and TPN-1, I'll add the gunner's periscope in no time, the little holes are for the turret handles to be made of copper wire, cast texture was added, made out of Tamiya putty, and the most important (and notorious): I corrected the roof plates angle. A friend of mine offered to lend me his Blast Models T-55 update, so I could get some resin copies, but he changed his mind and now he won't lend me the pieces... Well, it doesn't matter anymore, I'll detail a little bit a Tamiya T-55 commander's cupola and get a resin copy, the loader's cupola will be scratchbuild, If I can get the Blast Models copies, that wouldn't be a problem, with the turret roof modification they will fit with no problems. I get some resin copies from Tamiya T-55 pieces and they're ready to be glued in place, but I forgot to fit them for taking the pics. Extensive modifications will be made to the hull, but I'll finish the turret completely before starting with the hull. More updates will come in some time. Best regards.

José
tomcatrio
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 06:08 PM UTC
great to see another of the trumpeter kit being built. i didnt know that the trumpeter dome turret is so squashed and inaccurate!! i am quite new to russian armour though.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
im not trying to be impolite, but i think sometimes modelers just want a challenge or do - it yourself project, good progress youve got my attention .
spiritwalker
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:24 AM UTC
As Gary mentioned... WHY?. What a waste of time...

The Trumpeter kits are Crap and no amount of detail is going to help... Too many dimension issues that cant be disguised.

Andy
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Andy and Gary: I don't care if you like it or not, but working on a $ 20 kit is better than working on an expensive $ 50 kit for me, even the Tamiya T-55 has its own accuracy issues that I must fix to make it look like a Peruvian T-55, just compare it to the pics in Prime Portal. I already know the dimensional and accuracy issues of the Trumpeter kit, but I don't care, I'm having fun with it... Well this hobby is about having fun, or not? Anyways, I'll keep on working on the kit no matter how many modifications or time it takes, because I'm enjoying it... Best regards.

José.
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy and Gary: I don't care if you like it or not, but working on a $ 20 kit is better than working on an expensive $ 50 kit for me, even the Tamiya T-55 has its own accuracy issues that I nust repair to make it look like a Peruvian T-55, just compare it to the pics in Prime Portal. I already know the dimensional and accuracy issues of the Trumpeter kit, but I don't care, I'm having fun with it... Well this hobby is about having fun, or not? Anyways, I'll keep on working on the kit no matter how many modifications or time it takes, because I'm enjoying it... Best regards.

NIcely put Jose! That is what the hobbies about!

Martyn
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Trumpeter kits are Crap and no amount of detail is going to help... Too many dimension issues that cant be disguised.

Andy

Some would say that buying a kit, aftermarket track, PE, barrel(s), decals, etc, etc, a waste of time, as the kit is pretty good out of the box.

What makes this any different?

We as modelers have become way too complacent with the kits manufacturers are putting out today. At one time us modelers built the kit, and actually did some modeling.......some of the kits coming out now are literally a "shake and bake" kit.....throw a bottle of glue in the box, shake, and out pops a model.

If Jose wants to use an old inaccurate Trumpeter kit and model it to achieve what he wants, then I say, the more power to him.

If he wants to take a lump of crap and try to make something out of it, then great!

But for God's sake don't ridicule him for it.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy

Nice first post Andy ....

I say Jose looks to be having fun, and he is being kind enough to post his progress here. I wish him the best on this project.

Paul

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Very Nice Work. I look forward to seeing what work you do on this kit to make it more accurate. I have several of Trumpy's T-55's in the stash, never got them built before Tamiya's kit came out, and I am saving them for my kids to practice on in the future, including the excercise in fixing dimensional issues and scratchbuilding. This is actually a pretty good kit for that, although I admit to having one half finished and not really having any interest in finishing it up.

Keep up the good work.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
Jose, you're obviously a builder and not just an assembler.
Nice work on what by now I'm sure everyone knows isn't the greatest kit. Keep us posted.
thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Yes sir, all you did do was ask a question, with negative connotations. The use of the phrase "why waste the time and effort" was where all the uproar is from. Other than that it would have been a neutral question.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But for God's sake don't ridicule him for it.

All I did was ask a question. Scott, if you can show me anywhere in my post that I ridiculed Jose, point it out. Calvin, I don't remember asking you anything, so yes I think you're being impolite. Jose, you can build any kit you want, I don't care. I just asked you a simple question. I was not trying to be rude, ridicule, make fun of, degrade, tear apart, or look down on Jose's build. I JUST ASKED A QUESTION! This crap of all the self appointed protectors of the hobby and what ever they think is proper net etiquette is wearing pretty thin. I'll repete it once again, I just asked a question. Did it maybe occur to you Scott that I might be interested in what Jose planned to do with the kit? Yes, I think the kit is crap and wouldn't waste my time with it. If someone want's to try and polish this turd, great. Maybe that might be why I would be interested in what Jose was going to do to it, Scott. I imagine that if some of you spent as much time building as you do feigning indignation over what you misperceive to be some breech of manners, you might have some outstanding builds. Jose does have something on the bunch of you, at least he's posted up some work.

thompyt
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I imagine that if some of you spent as much time building as you do feigning indignation over what you misperceive to be some breech of manners, you might have some outstanding builds

In case you missed it Wayne, I summed up your type earlier. Just what does you post add to this thread as to Jose's build? Nothing.

About the same as yours does, I'd gather.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:24 PM UTC
nice build so far Jose, can't wait to see how this one unfolds. your approach to taking an old kit (inaccuracies and all) and updating it is very bold and i applaud you for it, i too from time to time like to pull out an old dog of a kit and rummage through the spares box to have ago at correcting it... currently i'm building tamiya's old PZIV D (i had it before dragon released theirs which i have to) anyhow with spares from said dragon kit, and numerous other PZ IV's, plus tristars excellent wheel set i'm currently building it at a good leisurely pace. will post pics next month when my home pc is fixed. enjoy the build Jose and good luck mate. Ant
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 05:07 PM UTC
Jose good luck with your build and I hope you achieve your aim.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:37 PM UTC
You have a fan up here

I just love these kind of build logs where a model is getting a complete make over. Very good work on the turret! How did you made the turret openings so perfectly round?

cheers,

Jurjen
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All I did was ask a question. Scott, if you can show me anywhere in my post that I ridiculed Jose,

Hey there Gary,

Actually if you go back and read my first quote, it wasn't directed immediately at you, as I took the quote from Andy's Post.

However you both said that it was a "waste of time" to use the Trumpeter kit.....pretty much telling him he is wasting his time in what he is doing.

Not exactly the message we want to send to modelers is it?

Jose, great start to the build. I look forward to following your build, and seeing it complete. Would be nice to see a different version of the T54/55 built, as opposed to the cookie cutter ones we have seen in the past. It will be a refreshing change!
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC
Well, here is a very minor update. I added some epoxy putty to the turret sides for a better shape and added th little indent to the lower right side:

I'll give it the cast texture and the bisel at the base later. Trying to fix the hull, I ruined it, so it will take some time to repair it properly. I need some Blast Models resin cupolas and hatches, a friend of mine offered them to me but they were just crappy resin copies (not even original spares) at USD 17.00! only hatches and cupolas for making the Peruvian version, just 7 pieces! So no thanks. Let's see what happens. More to come in some time. Best regards.

José.
bobbyh
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 433 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Great work so far Jose. I like the work you have done. Anyhow, glad to get back on track with the build. Keep rockin on your build jose. It's really nice to see some modern armor built from South America. I am working on a 1/35 BMP-1 from HobbyCraft. I haven't posted any build pictures yet. I am sure you guy's will rip me a new one on it, L.O.L. Thats ok because you guys will be right. However I have thick skin and it doesn't bother me. As I have said before I build for the enjoyment of it and relaxation. I try also to look at photo's and drawings and scratch build as accurately as possible or to my satisfaction. - Bobby
 _GOTOTOP