_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill III, "The End of the Beginning"
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi Guys been on this on since before Christmas, so it's nice to get it Finished..sort of.

It's the AFV Club Churchill Mk III, with minor additions and the Hobbyfan resin set of stowage and front skirt. Done as a Kingforce tank on it's way back to Alexandria after Victory at El Alamein, i call the scene.."The End of The Beginning." after a a quote from Winston Churchill following the Victory.

Thanks to Kevin Tucker and Gordon Brown (from Cromwell Models) who both sent me an auxilary fuel tank for the Churchill,
Thanks also to Paul Thompson at just-bases.co.uk for making me a nice Oak base, to my own sizes, it's a beauty.

More pictures and a build article will appear in a future issue of Scale Military Modeller International magazine.

Paul
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
REALLY impressive work Paul. Nice, simple arrangement which works and convinces and the same time... I particularly like the stowage though, that is a really nice set.

Thanks for posting it!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Really nice work, turned out a treat, Churchill looks great, I like the strike mark on the side of the turret.

Excellent stuff. Only observation; I would add a little dust to the stowage, help give the tarps a little variation in colour and maybe a little more on the front skirt too as it would be pretty dusty there. They (the stowage) look a bit clean compared to the rest of the tank. I do like what you have added and the way in which it is tied down.

I don't quite get the relationship between the figures, They look very good but there is no interaction between them for a parked vehicle, if you kow what I mean.
The map on the top looks like it needs an owner, but as this is a preview I dare say there is more to come

Really impressive build.

Al
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. I particularly like the stowage though, that is a really nice set.

Thanks Jim, i agree it's a nice set, very well cast, with only a couple of little bubbles.
It is matched exactly to the rear deck of the AFV Churchill, to the point were there are slots and dents in the back that corrispond with hinges,handles, panel line etc.

Thanks for the positive feedback Jim

paul
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't quite get the relationship between the figures, They look very good but there is no interaction between them for a parked vehicle, if you kow what I mean.
The map on the top looks like it needs an owner, but as this is a preview I dare say there is more to come

Hi Al, i also think the figures are a weak point, the orginal idea was that matey at the front would be up checking the map. I (foolishly) glued the map down before check that he would convincingly lean on the bin. When i built him he missed the bin by a long way
So not wanting to ruin the paintwork on the top of the bin i left the map and put him down at the front checking damage. the idea now is that both guys have heard something (maybe an explosion) and are looking in it's dirrection. A feeble excuse i know but i'll do for now
I now really need to get another Figure to put with the map, hence the "Sort of", after claiming it was finished.

There is actually laying pigment dust on the front skirt and the plate behind it but it doesn't show in the pictures. The rear stowage may get another going over though.

Thanks for the positve critique Al, always welcome.

paul
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC
Very nice work Paul, perhaps you could send us a feature for this one.
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Yes, pictures they tend to do that with dust. One of the new seated figures might work on the turret, I'm thinking the one from the HobbyFan crew and/or the more recently releases one from Alpine. There is a Resicast figure, bent at the waste who would also probably work. You didn't by chance use PVA on the map - you could wet it and it would come off OK?

If you rub a couple of different light colours into the stowage it should create a nice contrast and dusty look.

The Churchill it'self looks spot on, one of the best I've seen and it'sa good simple base to display it.

Cheers

Al
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Nice one Paul, great example of one of my favourite tanks......I've never seen it in that colourscheme before, really suits it.
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi paul,
Great model, it looks like its just been unloaded from the scammel tank transporter and the crew have neatly folded their bedding and tents onto the tank.

Very impressive.

Matt
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
Great looking tank. This may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the front skirt? Is it deployed (in use) right now?
neil22
Visit this Community
Cotes-d`Armor, France
KitMaker: 292 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC
i belive the front skirt was to keep the dust down abit so the driver could see where he is going.

cheers
neil
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but what is the purpose of the front skirt? Is it deployed (in use) right now?

Hi as neil says, above, it was an attempt to keep the huge dust clouds down (in desert sand) so the drivers view wasn't completely obscured. My understanding is that it was only a partial success and that after some experimentation, after El Alamein, they found that removing the front fenders was more effective.

Paul
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:23 AM UTC
Wow, really nice model! Seems very much alive.
How did you make the map? It adds a lot to the model
soprano54
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 01:48 AM UTC
Nice model, I wouldn't be inclined to stow all that canvas on the back decks though! On a real tank the engine/transmission would very quickly overheat!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't be inclined to stow all that canvas on the back decks though! On a real tank the engin/transmission would very quickly overheat!

Emmm, the contemporary images of Churchill IIIs in King Force, show this quantity of stowage and more... In fact, i'm pretty sure the designers of this set used the same photos...
soprano54
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
I'll just have to take your word for it, I had a look at the said website and I'm still not convinced.
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you make the map? It adds a lot to the model

that one comes from verlinden, and old set, so i'm not sure if it's still in production

paul
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
The tarps and rolls look amazing. I thought you had used actual cloth until I read otherwise. Can you explain how you painted them?
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a real tank the engine/transmission would very quickly overheat!

The engine bay is forward of exhaust outlets. it is partially under the turret bin. At the rear is the gearbox and no vents are blocked by the stowage, as you can see, so i can't see over heating as a problem.
My thoughts on it anyway.
cheers
Paul
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tarps and rolls look amazing. I thought you had used actual cloth until I read otherwise. Can you explain how you painted them?

Hi
I painted them with vallejo acrylics, mixing khaki with OD and deck tan to vary the shades. I then painted the ties in plain deck tan and once dried i ran a little wash of Burnt Umber oils into the cracks and folds. After that two brush painted coats of Lifecolor Mat Varnish gave a really nice flat finish like cloth. No special treatment. When sculpting is as fine and realistic as it is in this set, painting is a lot easier.

Cheers

paul
pebblemonkey
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

but what is the purpose of the front skirt? Is it deployed (in use) right now?

Hi as neil says, above, it was an attempt to keep the huge dust clouds down (in desert sand) so the drivers view wasn't completely obscured. My understanding is that it was only a partial success and that after some experimentation, after El Alamein, they found that removing the front fenders was more effective.

Paul

Hi Both,
According to the manual, the Churchill had two large Sirocco fans which cooled the engine, these fans when the vehicle was standing still on loose dirt, would raise a whirlwind underneath the belly of the tank and then blow a dustcloud and dirt through all the opened hatches.
The screen was to stop the dirt going around the front of the tank and filling the driver's compartment.

Matt

soprano54
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

On a real tank the engine/transmission would very quickly overheat!

The engine bay is forward of exhaust outlets. it is partially under the turret bin. At the rear is the gearbox and no vents are blocked by the stowage, as you can see, so i can't see over heating as a problem.
My thoughts on it anyway.
cheers
Paul

Yeah I can now see why, having seen a few pics of a 'clean' Churchill, apologies!
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
Simply beautiful Paul i love the painting and weathering the painting of the stowage is as good as i have ever seen i love it.

Ron.
 _GOTOTOP