Qs on Bedford QL of Army Fire Service
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 04:37 AM UTC
Hello,

I’m looking for any additional information on Bedford QL trucks used by British Army Fire Service. This is the well known picture from IWM archives taken in Normandy:

Are there more pictures of these vehicles (serving in this particular branch of service)?

Are there any pictures, drawings or plan regarding the firefighting and other equipment which I assume was carried on the cargo bed?

Thanks a lot in advance

-A-

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Ales,

I'm familiar with the pic

Some general info.

Quote (basic summary of info)-

These wrer mainly for protecting airfields, ammo dumps and fuel dumps. They were built on the QLD chassis, the basic body of the vehicle was similar to the QLD (GS) Special (metal body), but the body was slightly longer making the vehicle 20ft 2in overall, The QLD GS Special was 19ft 8ins. The body also had 4 lockers cut into the front part and a shallower tail gate flap. The main equipment consisted of a 200 gallon water tank mounted centrallt in the forward end of the body together with with a hose reel mounted between the body and the cab. There was also a pump driven from the pto and this was controlled by remote engine throttle. This basic equipment was used in the first aid role of the unit and could be put into action pretty quickly.

For larger fires a trailer pump was towed, usually either a Coventry Climax or Godiva pump. Fixtures were provided on the vehicle to carry a 30ft extension ladder which was hung from the tilt superstructure and protruded both fore and aft. Side lockers were provided to carry suction hose and all the necessary nozzles for the trailer pump together with various types for fire extinguisher.

To make it very destinctive it carried a warning bell, which was a compulsory item or all fire fighting equipment and a large board as shown with ARMY FIRE SERVICE on it.

The prototype Fire Tender was ordered on WD contract S2941 dtated April 1943. It was delivered on 7th June 43 having been allocated Cenus Number L5204998. The chaissis/cab cost Ł347.6s.8d and the body on the protype was built by Brush Engineering Ltd

Further contracts followed with Cenus numbers L5294819 to L5295117. Specilaist fire tenders were then contracted to the Austin Morris company for another 150 vehicles L5458288 to L5458437.

In Jul 44 a further contract was placed for 553 chassis of which 290 numbers L5863231 to L5863520 had bodies built by Eccles. The remainder of the contract numbers L5863521 to :5863783 which should have been built by Austin got cancelled.

Unquote

Source: Bedford to Berlin and Beyond QL: The Forces Favourite 4 x 4 by Robert Coates.

I've seen a picture of a Merryweather cable operated fire escape ladder mounted on a QLC Chassis, prototype for what went into production as the Simon Observation Post.

No pics or diagrams to help but if you find anything please let me know.

Hope this helps.

Al
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, Alan! I was sort of counting on your expertise... Based on the quote you've mentioned it looks like the IBG Models 1/72 scale represenation is a good educated quess.

I will certainly let you know shall I discover more details.

On a side note, this is a picture of mentioned WWII era Coventry Climax water pump trailer (courtesy of Summerlee Heritage Museum):

You can also see a picture of this model in action in Coventry, 1940.

-A-

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Ales,

Not my expertise Mr Coates's excellent book.

I first saw the IBG Models last year when they arrived in Hannants in the UK. They have a great range of Bedfords my only regret is that they are not in 1/35 scale

This one looks pretty accurate. I haven't come across any plans so can't help there, but there is a good example of the Coventry Climax pump that Accurate Armour do:

[url]http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=14&subcategory=26&product=1695url]

Enjoy the build, it should be fun and thanks for the pic.

Al
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi there

I have a set of plans somewhere in the depths of my shed that are in 1/35 scale I think that came free with one of the model magazines I think or were part of an article on the vehicle.

Unfortunately my shed is still in some mess but I can see about doing a hunt for them.

Give me a PM with your e-mail just in case I find them and I can see about scanning them.

Nige
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
PM sent, Nige. Thanks!

I've found a drawing of the depicted truck (from left side) in The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II by Chris Bishop, page 97. I can't post it here since KitMaker gallery doesn't work at this moment, but you should be able to see it via Google Books.

UPDATE: Gallery is operational again, so here is the mentioned drawing:

Some information should also be on pages 162-3 in Vehicles at War by Denis Bishop and Chris Ellis. I did not see those pages, so I don't know whether or not is bring anything new.

HTH

-A-
 _GOTOTOP