_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
? about Academy's Merkava Mk II kit
tachikawa
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
Am not new to modelling or armor. Am new to 'modern' armor though.

Picked up Academy's Merkava Mark II with KMT 4 Mine Roller kit. Was wondering if the 'mine roller' was and/or is used commonly in the IDF? Or is this a kit of some proto-type or little used variant? Just trying to figure out in my own mind if I want to build the kit with or without the mine roller attached. Looking for some experienced advice!

Glenn
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
It is used quite often by the IDF on MBT's and engineer vehicles. It is absolutely correct to see it on the Merk II. The roller itself will require some tweaking however.
tachikawa
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The roller itself will require some tweaking however.

Thanks for your reply! Can you explain 'tweaking'?

Glenn
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 01:34 PM UTC
Glenn,

If you decide to not use the mine roller drop me a PM. I would be interested in purchasing it from you with all the associated mounting parts.
tachikawa
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glenn,

If you decide to not use the mine roller drop me a PM. I would be interested in purchasing it from you with all the associated mounting parts.

Haven't decided yet.

Glenn
tachikawa
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
Have another question!

Have read on some other forums that Academy's Merkava Mk II turret is considered 'in-accurate'. The Legend resin turret 'corrects' some of the problems. I can find the Legend turret for $34, which is more than I paid for the kit. Are the 'in-accuracies' on the Academy turret that bad that spending another $34 is worth it? Has anyone gone that route? Were you satisfied? Or no?

Am not trying to get a fight going at all. Am trying to reconcile in my own mind whether or not to spend the extra money or not....that's all!

Glenn
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Aside from the unfortunate placement of a lot of the knockout pins, there were some pretty large sinkholes on the outboard portion of the "arms." That's just usual modeling stuff, though.
There were also several missing lift rings, but the worst part was the rollers themselves - the shape of the teeth was totally off, they appeared more like nubs in the kit. I gave up on them and used them as is.
I have a Maquette/RPM? mine roller somewhere. If memory serves me, those rollers had a more correct pattern, but as I can't access it at the moment I don't know. If so, a combination of the two kits might be the way to go....
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
If you get stumped for answers here....you should register on this site and post your question.....

http://idf-in-scale.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php
 _GOTOTOP