_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
T-34/Russian armor w/ applique armor
iambrb
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Where can I find links of T-34's and the like with applique and stand-off armor, as seems to be popular in modeling thse days?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
T-34/85 with "mesh" armor :
http://www.o5m6.de/T-34_85_1944_Flattened.html

HTH
Frenchy
dsfraser
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where can I find links of T-34's and the like with applique and stand-off armor, as seems to be popular in modeling thse days?

T-34s did not receive supplementary armour to te same extent as other types like the T-26 or KV. I have yet to see a photo of any SAU fitted with same.

Officially, appliqué armour was applied to T-34s for only a very brief period in January and February 1942. STZ and Sormovo, the two factories building T-34s at the time, used plates cut differently, making it possible to distinguish one from the other. Perhaps 500 tanks were affected. Some of the Sormovo tanks ended up in Leningrad, where Zavod No.27 added additional appliqué to the turret. These tanks were from the first batches at Sormovo, and had the small round transmisson access hatch.

Later in the war, plans were floated to introduce German-style "Schurtzen", but only prototypes were constructed.

"Bedspring" armour came into existence as the Red Army entered Germany, and ran into incerasing numbers of Volksgrenadiers armed with Panzerfausts. The bedsprings, like Thoma Shields, eliminated the threat from these rather nasty weapons. Some were actually bedsprings confiscated from enemy civilians, but many were made up on the spot by workshop battalions and applied in situ. These were seen on many T-34-85s and some IS-2s in Berlin.

I have some decent information on appliqué as applied to T-34-76s, including 1/35 scale templates. If that's what you're after, drop me a line. scott_fraser*shaw.ca

Cheers
Scott Fraser

iambrb
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 01:29 AM UTC
Boy, thanks to all!

Scott, PM inbound!
 _GOTOTOP