_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Need some T-72 turret photos
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi guys. My Revell T-72 is being a bit of a pain in the butt because its nearly impossible to put the smoke grenade launchers on the turret in the way thats indicated in the box art(below)

(Box art from AAA Models UK)

So, I was wondering if anyone out there had any photos, pics, or diagrams of the turret of the T-72 M1 showing different arrangements/placement of the smoke launchers.

Thanks for your attention!
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:52 PM UTC
Gary is right, That's the way they're mounted, at least in the T-72A (T-72M1), and it is a pain in the a** to align them properly, and I'm talking about ALL T-72 kits, even the Tamiya offering. Here you have a couple of pics taken from the now-extinct Tanxheaven.

And one more:

The some grenades have locating tabs, maybe you have to make them a little longer, then file some places to get the correct angle and you have to make a lot of dry fitting to get them aligned properly, a hard work, but It can be done. Just in case you really want a very different kind of smoke grenade arrangement, you have to modify the turret from T-72M1 to T-72B standart (so-called T-72M2):

You'll have to add front armour to the turret and anti-radiation cladding on the roof. This other version is easier to make:

http://www.otvaga2004.narod.ru/xlopotov_8/tank_t72s_01.htm

It is a T-72S. You'll only need to change the front mudguards, scratchbuild a new stowage box for the left side and place the wading tube on the rear stowage box, and a lot of tiny ERA bricks. I think it will be nice to build one of these. Good luck with your project. Best regards.

José.
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Dangit. Oh well, at least I know now. Thanks a lot Gary and Jose. The supplied smoke launchers are impossible to mount because there are't locating slots, but these shallow rectangular depressions that you sit the ends of the launchers in. That leaves the launchers to just flop about whichever way they like.

I have some Tiger 1 launchers spare that I could modify to look like the T-72B launchers in the photo you found Jose. It won't be exact, but it'll make the tank look better.

Again, thanks guys.
Removed by original poster on 03/07/09 - 07:23:46 (GMT).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 12:39 PM UTC
The launchers are indeed a pain. If you need more turret photos, especially from the top, let me know.

Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 09:45 PM UTC
Thanks alot for the offer Bravo. I'll keep that in mind when I get another T-72.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 04:48 PM UTC
The top two photos from the former Tanx Heaven are mine (good old print film!) of the T-72M1 sitting outside of The Military Museums in Calgary. More shots of this same vehicle can be found here I've since taken many more digital shots, but Mr. Caddo has covered it pretty good too

Jim
 _GOTOTOP