_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Anyone use grass mats?
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
I got a grass mat that I ordered delivered today. From a new company, (or old company-new product) Model Scene, and it really is beautiful.

Here is a photo from the site that I bought from...

My Ferdinand looks right at home sitting on it... except for the fact it looks like it was picked up and put there. How does one put tracks marks etc. in this type if a grass mat? And A heavy tank like that... How ripped up with the track be if he was just driving straight? Matted down with some dirt showing or really churned up dirt with grass chopped into it?
Nightstrike
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi I would love to be able to get this make of grass but cant in the UK right now. For your problem i would try measuring the track width and then using craft knife to cut out pieces of the matt where the tracks would be then fill these gaps with celluclay or putty or maybe even with a mix of watered down white elmers glue and fine sand then when this is still wet soft place track marks into it and then apply some static graas to adges and after add the dark earth colour to where the tracks have churned up the grass. Hope this is of some use but im sure others will have other methods find the one that suits you !
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC
Marc,
Andy has the right idea. You will have to simulate the track marks by picking/pulling the majority of 'grass' out of the track path and adding clumps of "dirt" (Cel-u-clay) and pressing the track print into it. It should be fairly easy.
I'd glue the whole thing down and when dry figure where the tank would be and where the track prints should be, then pull,cut ,hack and pick out the majority of the grass in those areas.
I'd then go back and glue a bit of sand or cel-u-clay here and there along the path and occasionally press the tracks into it for the random track print.
When all that is dry, use paint and pigment to give it a torn up dirt look.
Just remember to 'settle' the tank down into the ground where it is sitting so it looks 'heavy'
Cheers,
Charles
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi I would love to be able to get this make of grass but cant in the UK right now.

Why not ? if you mean a shop in the UK selling the stuff yes, but they have agents in other countries and they look like they'll sell direct anyway. Should be fairly straightforward to order as with other items these days, after checking they are prepared to ship small quantities to the UK.

http://www.model-scene.com/index_eng.html

Alan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
I've done two reviews of these
They are really good.
Model-Scene Reviews
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 07:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the ideas.

BTW... If you plan to order the dry steppe grass form Military Miniature Warehouse, when you click the "add to cart" button for the product it fills in the wrong number. you want 533 and it puts 531, which the spring time mat.
 _GOTOTOP