_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
The Final Sd.Kfz 7/1 Photo Report
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC
In this, we present the last report on Trumpeter's Sd.Kfz. 7/1 in 1/35th scale. Once again, these NEW images have been provided by the company. The Photo-Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:09 AM UTC
This looks good in the skin. Dragons cad images looks good too. Which one will be more accurate, builder friendly and friendly on our pockets? Its great to have the choice, but sometimes a pity they go head to head so often instead of releasing to different kits, even if they picked the same base vehical and did somethig a little different. like one crane one flak. Dont get me wrong I'm not moaning. Good time's ahead ,nice to have a choice. Cheers Geraint
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
Well, not to belabor things TOO much, but--

1.) Trumpeter already has an excellent Prime Mover version on the market, one I would purchase and build on a regular basis. DML's has been promised for nearly a year; Dragon USA is taking "Back Orders" on their web site. Trumpeter even has a "late" variant of the Prime Mover whose angled rear fenders will work well with later 7/1 and 7/2 variants.

2.) Trumpeter now have the flat bed for adding either FLAK gun for the 7/1 and 7/2 variant (a specialized gun mount on early versions was abandoned and the guns later on were simply bolted to the bed). The whole family of Sd.Kfz.7s is now wide open to them.

3.) They have the quad gun finished and presumably the 37mm in development? The 7/2 carried three different versions of the gun, so which one they pick will be interesting, and will there be options to build all three?

4.) They have an ammunition trailer (actually any small Wehrmacht trailer will work, I've seen variants). Greater value for money if Dragon's does not, presuming both kits sell for about the same $$$$.

5.) They presumably have the armored cab and radiator shield on the drawing board, if not in molds. The cab doesn't look to be anything complex or hard to adapt from their existing sprues based on the photos in The Sd.Kfz.7 In Detail.

6.) It looks as though Trumpeter has reduced the amount of PE that's in the Prime Mover kit, including winch detailing, turn signal arms, etc. While not onerous in the PM kit, I realize some modellers don't want the hassle of PE. Conversely, they have increased the PE factor over DML's announced 7/1, mostly in the gun shield, sight, and detailing.

7.) DML promises to render the gun shield in scale styrene thickness. I assume they wouldn't claim that unless they can do it, but we won't know until one of us has the kit in our hands. This seems to be in line with their recently-released kits that have less PE than their so-called "Premium" kits in the past. Most modelers seem to prefer OOB kits, so that would be an edge for DML.

8.) The final question for me is: has DML corrected some of the mudguard innaccuracies others have pointed out on the Trumpeter kit?
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
From the pictures provided it looks like there will be some brass and individual link tracks. So far I'm liking what I see though the final judgement will come when the box is ripped open by my own hands and the eyeballs go into overdrive.

To be honest, I have waited until both kits have been released before I make a final determination with my money. That's what competetion is all about, who can do the best work. And the way things are nowadays I will spend my money where I believe that I can get the best value in the product.

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
I know they are doing it all the time, but wouldn't it be nice, if companies actually spent their limited resources on different versions, different vehicles, rather than the same ones?
(It looks gorgeous, though.)
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
Visit this Community
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 01:05 PM UTC
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa