Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Operation Market Garden
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hello Everyone, I just signed up for this campaign. I'm thinking of something centered around a Kubel. A viginette, something small. Looking forward to getting started
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 05:53 AM UTC
What are the tank options in allied side? Regular shermans, 105mms, fireflies? M10?

Were the XXX Corps only tank force in allied side during OMG or did the yanks use some too?

Thanks,
Tuomas

P.S OMG = Operation Market Garden
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 09:54 AM UTC
Tuomas, the only Allied armoured forces were British as it was their job to pass over all the bridges captured creating a corridor for an armoured thrust into Germany. Vehiclewise you're pretty much spoilt for choice. Shermans, Sherman Fireflies, Churchills, Cromwells etc plus the usual assortment of AFV's as Corps resources, armoured cars, softskins, halftracks etc.

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/frames.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
I'll try again...LOL

[url]http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem//url]
TuomasH
Visit this Community
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:20 PM UTC
Thanks for help.

You forgot dot after your link so thats why it won't load, remove it and it works fine.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 03:19 AM UTC
I was thinking of a Hummel or an Opel Mautlier with a Flak on it providing some air defense.
Maybe a Flak Panzer doing the same job...
tracklink2
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 03:42 AM UTC
I'm defiantly in for this one,
kinda strange, I was planing on a Market-Garden diorama anyway since I just finished reading "A Bridge Too Far" and I have the cyberhobby orange box Composite Hull Firefly with the para-troopers on pre-order as well.

milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:39 AM UTC
I have dug deep into my stash for this one/A real Oldie. Had this kit hanging around about 10 + years. I never had a desire to build it untill I saw one at a local model show this past March and with a bit of work it can be made into a decent build. Wish me Luck on this ; My Build for this Campaign will be the ESCI SdKfz 10/4 w/20mm A.A. The figures will be a mix of Warriors and Verlinden as I have quite a few of them. My research material has been some link s I found on-line & Spearhead #20, HOHENSTAUFEN, 9th SS Panzer Division. Ok , is It 1 May YET ???? milvehfan
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 01:09 PM UTC
May 1st is just around the corner. I've a copy of Robert Kershaws excellent book, "It Never Snows In September". Also watching the adaptation of Cornelius Ryans book, "A Bridge Too Far". Gettin the mojo going. Might try a Jagdpanzer IV L48 instead of the VW. I'll cross that bridge when May 1st gets here.
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 02:05 PM UTC
Three days to go...Red On
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
I am considering a Pz. IV G or a StuG III G for this campaign.

But I might also go for some of the vehicles from the Sd.Kfz. 234 family. Does anybody know if they were used during Market Garden?
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
Jesper, Provided that some of these vehicles survived the retreat through France, my best guess would be Yes, the SdKfz 234/2 were used by the 9th SS Aufklaungs Abteilung in Normandy. Try Google ,(SdKfz 234), or (9th SS Panzer Div). to verify . Good Luck in your search. See ya on the Campaign Trail / 1 day to go !!! milvehfan
tracklink2
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:19 PM UTC
I'm wondering if any units of the guards armored division had any "hybrid" hull fireflys,

I am thinking of doing a pair of dios, one with the paras and one with XXX corps.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my kits. Luckily they will be arriving after the start date so I have no temptation to start early

Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:52 PM UTC
I'm getting ready to put paint down on a Budapest'45 dio I'm currently working on. Will be watching the start of this campaign with envy! Should be joining up within a couple of weeks, Hopefully.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 08:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Milvehfan. I also found some pictures of 9th SS Pz. Div. Pz. IVs and Sd.Kfz. 234s in my references, but all of them from Normandy. Although they got a heavy beating some of the vehicles must have made it out of Normandy.

I will probably go for a 234 or Pz. IV. Looking forward to get started.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 09:03 PM UTC
I am also looking forward to getting started. I have the Vehicle, Figures, Ref Material and most important time to build, (next 3 Saturdays and Sundays OFF !) Good Luck to all other participants, milvehfan
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC
Sounds great, Milvahfan. I am quite booked, but I will still be able to press in some build time here and there.

Are you building the SdKFz 10/4 20mm AA for the campaign? I came across a photo of one destroyed next to the Arnhem bridge. Interested in the picture or do you have it already?
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
I found that pic also, It suffered hits from a Brit ish 6 pounder under the Ossterbeek Railroad bridge. I was thinking of building it straight OOB/ Racing through the Arnhem area and IF it turns out ok and I have the time I would like to try building a second one(knocked out) in the Ossterbeek area. Both will represent the same vehicle on 2 separate days of the battle. milvehfan

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
I'm in. I have some beautiful para figures from Wee Friends, which will go into a small diorama. Well, it is small now, but the ideas are already increasing. I'm thinking Wolfheze or thereabouts, on the 17th September, with the first advancing Para's of the 1st battalion running into the first German resistance. Not sure yet of the exact setting, but will probably be somewhere along the railway line... Or maybe Oosterbeek or Wolfheze itself...
I may get carried away, and use this as an excuse to do another diorama as well... Oosterbeek near the Church, thinking one of those tasty new pack howitzers, some resicast crew... lots of rubble.. or maybe a couple of 6 pounders , and a StuG , to recreate the action that earned Baskeyfield his VC. Or... see, you have done it now, I'm getting carried away already..

Let glueing commence

Whao Mohamed

erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Green on...GO!!

Finally we can get started. Good luck all. Now the question is what do I start building first

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
I'm ready to "start the purple"!

--Karl
CrazyEd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hello everybody, at last we can start building ! But what ? I was planning 2 build some SS armor. Sounds good right ? Well ? Yes, but (always a but) after I started researching the kind of vehicles toured around the Arnhem-perimeter I came 2 the conclusion it's difficult 2 decide ... (familiar huh ?)
Hohenstaufen had some armor left from the retreat from Normandy, they handed over some stuff 2 the Frundsberg. Then they assigned some Wehrmachtunits over 2 the SS. Stug Brigade 280 & the Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 are the most known.
What I found out was that they used some old stuff as well ; the Sdkfz 222 & Pzkfw III. A lot of Sdkfz 250 & 251's (various types ) were used by Hohenstaufen 's & Frundsberg 's Aufk.Abt.
So after thinking ( ) & raiding the attic I come up with this : a Sdkfz 251/1 towing a Pak 40, from the 10th Frundsberg SS-Panzerjäger Abteilung. They had a company of 12 Pak's South of Eindhoven on the 10th of september '44. (Kampfgruppe Heinke)
Now get building ! ! !
Grtz Eddy
milvehfan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi all, I get to start building today, (got two days off ) ! I am going with the Sdkfz 10/4 of the 9th SS in the Arnhem/Ossterbeek area. BTW, Does anyone have 2 extra unit decals for the 9th SS Panzer Div that they could part with ? Good Luck with all your builds. milvehfan
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 08:57 PM UTC
Is it just me or are these miniart buildings a complete lady to build? Seems that the plastic is way too thin. However after I spat the dummy and started on my Masterbox Paras I cheered up. They are superb. I've been using Resicast and Hornet heads so am looking forward to finishing the first batch for the RAP ( that is if I don't set fire to this Miniart garage out of frustration). Providing it comes to fruition I think I may stick a broken Kubelwagen in there
erichvon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 08:59 PM UTC
Odd..it seems that bihatch now becomes lady in typing. I think I'll use mofo in future...LOL