_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Friul Tracks for M18 - FANTASTIC !
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 01:01 AM UTC
I bought this set at AMPS last weekend, and I have to say
that it just don't get any more realistic and better than this. *( aside from the real thing ).
They assemble very easily, and even though the work is a bit tedious, I
enjoy every minute of it. The white metal is the way to go. As far
as I'm concerned.
The thing is this: Now that I have bought this set, and it being my first aftermarket
metal track kit, I really can't picture me ever using anymore regular amor kit tracks again.
It took hold of me just like photo-etch did.
After you buy your very first aftermaket accessories ( gun barrels, amor track sets, PE, etc. ),
there's just no turning back !.
To me, the money you have to dish out, doesn't bother me one bit. Mostly not
only because you end up with a better looking model, but mostly because you literally
have built an authentic replica of the real life 1:1 vehicles/armor as it should look.
As hard as I try, it is difficult for me to build a scale model military vehicle straight out
of the box.
The main thing is to enjoy what your building. My personal preference calls for full authenticity. I fully research everything I build
It's just the way I am, and most part is due for my passion for military history, I guess.
I'm sure any of you who have done modeling using aftermarket accessories can relate
to that "can't do without it " feeling.
HAPPY MODELING !
- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC
Ralph--just how much did this exotic track cost you for the Hell Cat?
DJ :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 01:56 AM UTC
Ralph...I believe the statement, "you're preaching to the choir" certainly applies here. I agree with you 110%, as long as you don't let the search for accuracy become a curse.
Just the act of doing the research to build an accurate model is fun, educational and enjoyable (kinda like a scavenger hunt when you were a kid). The trick is to not fall prey to making the 'rivet counters' happy (reason I got out of aircraft modeling). Just concentrate on making yourself happy, and keeping the balance.

Tread.

P.S. The Fruil tracks are awesome aren't they?

P.P.S. I use a Rail Weathering Solution normally used by Rail Roaders to weather and age the tracks. Takes only minutes and looks absolutely awesome also!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC
Fellows--enlighten me. Where can you get this track and what is the cost? I have used AFV Club's series of track and find it superb. Obviously, there is something better...
thanks
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
Howdy DJ,

You can get them from Historex, or, I believe Squadron carries them also.

Tread.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph--just how much did this exotic track cost you for the Hell Cat?

Hi DJ - They cost me $24 at the AMPS show.
I bought them from Michigan Dicount Models, but I see they
cost $22.10 when ordering online.
http://www.discountmodels.com./fruil_tracks.htm
- ralph
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph...Just concentrate on making yourself happy, and keeping the balance.

Hi Tread, yes I know exactly what your getting at - AMS ( Advanced Modelers Syndrome )
It is very easy to get so caught up in bringing so much accuracy to the model, that it can
take the enjoyment & fun right out of modeling. In being, that you just aren't satisfied
enough and keep striving for the perfect model which can easily turn on you, and
end up in total frustration.
Yes indeed, the day the pure enjoyment of making a model is no longer a part
of it, is the day I hang this hobby up (which won't happen).
So yes, I agree that you can become so involved in perfection in authenticity that it can drive a modeler crazy & hence it's no longer a fun hobby.
- ralph
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use a Rail Weathering Solution normally used by Rail Roaders to weather and age the tracks. Takes only minutes and looks absolutely awesome also!

Where do you get it, and what exactly is it? :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I use a Rail Weathering Solution normally used by Rail Roaders to weather and age the tracks. Takes only minutes and looks absolutely awesome also!

Where do you get it, and what exactly is it? :-)

Howdy M1,

' Rail Weathering Solution' is a specialized liquid made by Micro Engineering Company. It is an acidic solution that interacts with the metal of the Fruilmodelismo tracks and actually 'alters' the metal itself. It comes in a 3fl.oz (90 ml) bottle.
What you do is pour some of the solution in a small disposable (plastic) tub, using tweezers, pick up and place one of the track sets into the solution, being careful to ensure that the entire track is submerged. Let stand submerged for between 2 to 10 minutes (the amount of submerged time is what controls the amount of 'weathering' ). Remove track from the liquid and immediately dry (thoroughly) with a good quality papertowel. Allow to air dry.
Repeat entire process on the other track......Done!

The important thing to remember here (aside from your standard safety precautions regarding avoiding contact with your eyes and such) is the 'time' factor. In other words, the longer you leave the tracks in the solution, the darker they will get. And, even after you towel dry them the chemicals still work just a wee bit longer.
When I do my tracks I will generally leave them in for between 5 to 7 minutes, exactly! It just depends upon whether I'm dousing U.S. tracks or German/Soviet tracks. (I soak the german/soviet tracks longer than their U.S. counterparts).

You can pick up the solution from almost any Rail Road modeling store, they use it on their RR rails, RR trucks, wheels, etc, to acheive the same weathered look.

Hope that helps.......... :-)

Tread.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Ralph-Tread....thanks. I will definitely try a set out.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP