Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about New Trumpeter Abrams Kits
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
According to a few different webstores, these two new Abrams kits have been released:

07276 M1A1 Abrams MBT

07277 M1A1 Abrams with Mine Clearing Blade System

I've looked at them on Trumpeter's website, but the CAD images actually look kinda bad.

Has anyone been able to purchase either one? Or seen a review? I'm curious as to how these compare to Revell/Germany's M1A1/A2 kits.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Bump - had the moderator change the title, since I am asking a question.
vertex
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi Jeff,

i've got these kits already. They are nicely made, my only comments are the loader's / driver's hatches are molded solid on the hull and turret. But this M1's are comparable to revell and dragons fine details.

Cheers,

Nicky
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC
Ofcourse the CAD images aren't super. Don't forget their 1:72 and not 1:35.

Lars
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

According to a few different webstores, these two new Abrams kits have been released.

I would've sworn that my LHS has had the mine plower version for months. I could be wrong though.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 01:06 AM UTC
The NATO camouflaged one is odd. It is clearly an Army tank with the US Army style bumper markings, Army style grenade launchers and the US Cavalry flag marking, but has the USMC deep water fording kit attached (US Army tanks do not have the ability to equip the fording kit).

They don't look bad, but I've got a few of the Revell ones that I think are pretty good. I do like the newer style track on these though. I have not seen the Trumpeter kits before.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 02:19 AM UTC
Thank you all for your repsonses!

Nicky - do you have any close-up sprue shots? Or can you provide close-ups of the model if you completed it/them?

Lars - yes I realize that a model manufacturer will have to make some compramizes for 1:72 scale, but the CAD images seemed rather too chunky and simplified to me. The M240 on my old Italeri M1 Abrams has finer details and thinner looking gun barrel, but that's why I want to see how the actual kit parts/sprues look.

Dean - I guess its "location, location, location".

Sabot - I noticed that also and was wondering if the kit included parts for both US Army & USMC Abrams in the same kit. The tracks on the Revell and Italeri kits are their shortfall for building current versions, but the Trumpeter's look like they are rubber-band tracks.

With the success and market leadership for their 1:35 Abrams kits, WHY HASN'T DML PRODUCED AN ARMOR PRO M1A1/A2/A2 SEP ABRAMS?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
An Armor Pro Abrams, in which scale 1/72 or 1/35? In 1/72 scale, the answer is obvious, their Abrams kits are sub-par and they would have to start from scratch. In 1/35 scale, they still have money to be made off of the separate SEP and AIM kits.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

An Armor Pro Abrams, in which scale 1/72 or 1/35?

I meant an Armor Pro kit in 1/72, downsized from their 1/35 AIM & SEP tooling.

Just think of correct 1/72 scale DS100 tracks with seperate guide horns like the SEP kit! I'm blind already! But the DETAIL!
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dean - I guess its "location, location, location".

I'm in Australia for peat sake!! If something happens, we're he last people to know!!
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
UPDATE

I did recieve some pictures in a pm from Nicky, call sign: "vertex". Thank you!

I don't want to offend anybody, but I did find a new review of the Trumpeter 07276 M1A1 Abrams MBT kit on the Missing-linx website, reviewed by Al Bowie:

M1A1 Abrams MBT, Trumpeter

I hope this helps my fellow braille scale modellers out...
vertex
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

UPDATE

I did recieve some pictures in a pm from Nicky, call sign: "vertex". Thank you!

You are very much welcome Jeff. Thanks also for the review link.

Cheers,

Nicky
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 03:55 PM UTC
Having reviewed it (although it is 72nd not 35th as indicated in the review header!) I would say it is quite good but with the reservations I state in the review and those repaeated above. The closed hatches are a pain and I do not know what they were thinking with the Waders but not the other USMC features.
The quality is very sharp and well detailed and the construction is simple and not a collection of minuscule parts requiring a team of Swiss watch makers to assemble it .
It is an ideal wargamers model suited to a quick build. The Tracks despite being rubber band are very well done. The Box picture really does it no justice.
I look forward to seeing waht other Abrams they have planned.
Cheers
Al
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
I saw the review on ML but disagree with the conclusion. It wouldn't be a very good early DS Abrams, it has features found on later Abrams such as the 3 anti-sleeping bag mines on the blast panels and the later style track (although they were in use, but mainly on newer tanks not deployed). Older original issue M1A1s were sent to Saudi during Desert Shield. The newer variants stayed in Germany.

While the smoke dischargers used by the Marines vary from that of the Army, during Desert Shield/Storm, the Marines drew Army M1A1s that were shipped straight from Europe. They had all the standard Army fittings, including smoke dischargers. These original M1A1s would not have had the ability to be equipped with wading gear. The Marines got their heavies for keeps after Desert Storm. Those were the tanks that could have used the wading gear.

This tank looks like it was designed to be a mid 90s, post ODS tank.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC
A bump to see if anyone else has built one (with pictures) of these or even the ones with the Mine Roller or Plow, or even the new Panther II.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
I do have the Panther II, easily the nicest M1A1 hull in 1/72 scale. Herein lies the problem with the Trumpeter Panther II; the real vehicle uses the M1IP hull and not the M1A1 hull. I'm undecided on whether or not I just build it OOB or if I sacrifice an Esci M1A1 hull (that basic kit is useless) to make a more accurate Panther II.

I'll probably hack the Esci upper hull to backdate the Trumpeter hull.
 _GOTOTOP