E-100 (DML 1:72)
PieterK
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi all,

Hmm.. let me first introduce myself. Im Pieter, 24 y/o, living in the Netherlands. I'm a medical biology student at the uni of Nijmegen. With respect to scale modelling I'm particularly interested in German and soviet tanks and tank-destroyers, all in 1/72 scale.

This is my Dml E-100 model in it's present state.

I actually completed this project quite a while ago. When it comes to scale modelling however, 'finished', in most cases, is merely a temporary designation as I try to keep my models up to date with my steadily progressing skill.

The E-100, being a prototype that never reached completion, let alone saw actual action in combat, presents an ideal opportunity to toy with unconventional, experimental camouflage designs and such.

Some pictures:

Until recently I worked exclusively with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. After discovering the miraculous potency of oil-paints when it comes to adding depth and vividness to your models, I've been zealously refurbishing the larger part of my 16 1:72 models. My e-100 however still needs to receive such an oily treatment.

greetz

Pieter

PS. the camouflage scheme applied represents my interpretation of an urban-winter scheme, hence the combination of german grey and white, rather then a traditional full white coat. I dubbed it 'lightning camouflage' as the white stripes that are diagonally running over the vehicle, vaguely resemble bolts of lightning against a night sky... or maybe thats just what i like to see .

The hull red primer of the barrel was applied with the intention to give the tank a 'proto-type' like appearance, creating an aura that should intuitively associate it with a berlin-april1945 scenario, or any such setting in the final days of the war, rather then hinting at a what-if-1946 scenario.

I wholeheartedly recommend purchasing this kit to all german-armor fans in general. Like the majority of kits released by DML, it exhibits a phenomenal level of detail and constitutes a well designed kit with respect to the ease of assembly. I did add some additional detail that was either simplified or completely left out (eg the protrusions extending from the sides of the vehicle that facilitate the attachment of the side skirts (don't know the proper english designation).
The kit also contains 2 figures that are not included in the pictures.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
Interesting build Pieter. The E-100 truely was an "odd" looking vehicle, to say the least. I like your experimental camo, it looks rather "space" like. Only thing is your tracks did not seem to line up on the left side, but i know how DS tracks can be a PITA, especial in /72.

PieterK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hi jon,

Thanks for your (fast) reply

Yea.. DS.. they do have a charm to them, being easy to mount and superbly detailed. Overall though, I prefer LL tracks as I've come across several kits featuring DS tracks that where either (slightly) too short or too long.
too long isnt that much of a problem as it's easily solved by simply adding some sag to the tracks.. too short however requires more inventive solutions.

PieterK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 01:39 AM UTC
I;ve subjected the model to a number of wheatering sessions, applying several oil-paint washes (burnt umber/gark green) and drybrushed the edges with white and a mix of white and burnt umber.

Using highly dilted white paint, I've tried to create a pattern of very suble white lines that run vertically accross the models surface, by dragging the brush down in a straight motion while gently pressing it on to the surface of the tank.
Unfortunately some of the lines turned out a bit broader then I intended to, but given that this was the first time I used this particular technique, I'm quite content with the result.

I've also slighly altered the camouflage-scheme, adding white dots and outlining the white areas with dark-gray to accentuate them a bit.

As soon as I'll have black oil-paint I will apply several pinwashes to accentuate the weld seams etc.

You will probably notice that the unit markings havent exactly been applied with perfected precision...it is beyond me why I didn't notice this when i built the model, over a year ago.
PieterK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 10:14 PM UTC
Final pictures, including figure:

trajan98
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 34 posts