_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Trumpeter 1/16 T34 1942
chicom
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC
I have just begun to assemble this very impressive kit and know there are some inaccuracies and would like info on these. For instance-where can I get a reference on the engine firewall layout? Any info on this kit would be greatly appreciated. Again this is for the 76mm armed 1942 version. Thanks!!
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
There are many things wrong with the Trump kit. Most just ignore them, mostly I suspect due to a lack of in depth knowledge of the subject and just being impressed with the size of the beast!

The interior of course has gotten a lot of attention elsewhere: You’re short one floor storage box (there should be eight), you need nine of the wall mounted ready rounds (six on the gunner/commander's side and three on the loader's) and the cover on the projectile end of the round is purely mythological. The sidewalls themselves are for the T-34-85, the dished out area in their centers need to be filled in.
The firewall isn’t really correct, the various access doors, fittings, etc. are nearly all misshapen or just wrong for the tank. I seem to recall that you are also shorted the exhaust fan that should be on the top loader’s side (I could be wrong about this).
The seats aren’t quite right, the back of the things were made of sheet metal not tube and the padding slipped over this.
The driver’s side details are almost completely wrong again being more close to fittings for the -85. Even so, the area on the driver’s left should be open, not closed off as the kit depicts.
The hub and conduit for turret power are not provided.
There are all sorts of other missing or just plain wrong details in the fighting compartment.

Unless you are depicting a 1943 or later rebuild, you get the wrong air filter; it should have the “Pomon” oil bath filter that was mounted on top of the engine not the later “Cyclon” types the kit comes with.
The kit lacks the two battery packs that should be on either side of the engine.
The transmission should be backdated to the four speed type.

On the exterior the rear plate should be modified to look more like Factory 183 production by adding a center hinge to the lower edge (it comes with two which was a feature of tanks from Factory 174 and ChTZ, neither of which made tanks with the earlier turret IIRC) and removing the center bolt from each of the angled side sections.
The shape of the glacis MG blister is off as is the shape of the towing hooks (shape isn’t quite right and to my eye they are too thin).
There are several other details on the upper hull that can be addressed as well.

The turret and main gun are fairly good the only really “major” issue that I remember with it being that the blisters for the side vision port are too wide (this and the “Model ‘43” turret are copies of Tamiya’s 1/35 kits turrets warts and all).

This is just a partial list of more or less noticable issues with the kit.
If you choose send me an email and I may be able to share some more of what I have with you.

Mark

mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC
I have the same kit, and I bought the book, "T-34: Mythical Weapon" by R. Michulec and M. Zientarzewski. Why don't you think about building it, do your best, and enjoy it? There's also some photo etch out there as well that you might like to consider. Enjoy the build.

Maztt
 _GOTOTOP