_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
88 Flak36 - slodder
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
Ok - not much from me lately, but wanted to share what I was able to get done.

Slow going. This is a simple kit, it shows its age.The molds are old and the edges are pretty poor. Seams are quite ugly too.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi Scott,

Good to see you building again. Is this going into another one of your great dios?

Is the old Tamiya kit? Or the DML kit?

Rudi
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
Thanks Rudi, some semblance or 'normal' feels good right now.

This is the ancient Tamiya kit. Solid kit from a 'build' standpoint, but it shows its age from the molds.

At this point I'm building it for the Mighty 88 campaign. Don't know if it's going to see a diorama? There is no inspiration for one (yet).
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Scott . I recognized that kit as the old Tamiya kit right away...I'm also building one for the "88" campaign. . While I agree with you that this kit does show its age, the one saving grace I think it has, is its simplicity. The DML offering is way more detailed (not familiar with the AFV model), and more time consuming. I'm finding the Tamiya kit a rather quick build, which is why I chose it for this Campaign...signed up for too many this year, and am now looking for easy ways out .
Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Mine will be OOB, and I'm thinking of a desert scheme, but we shall see.

Cheers,
Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 04:41 AM UTC
Mike
You're absolutely right! This Tamiya kits is very simple, basically one sprue for the gun, one for the carrage assemblies. Almost a add glue stir and done kit, from a build perspective.

No idea where mine will end up -DAK or ETO?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Scott,

My mum gave me the Tam 88 as a gift last year so I'll be following your build carefully.

Sorry to hear about the lack of inspiration. I feel for ya, mate. Give it time.

Rudi
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
Ok - so I've made some painfully slow progress (photos have been shot, but not edited at all, not even pulled off the card).

I was thinking....
I know during operation Market Garden there were some wooden flak towers in use by the Germans. The only reports I can find report 20mm flak mounted on them.
Can anyone confirm or deny the mounting of a flak 26 on a wooden tower (albeit a huge one). I know there are some concrete monstrosities on record. I have to stay away from those. I don't want create the tower and mount, nor do I have the space.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 02:46 PM UTC
Scott,
If you want to use your 88 in a diorama during Market Garden there was one in a park just north of the bridge in Arnhem. Apparently the crew fired directly into the buildings occupied by the British paras, from a well groomed garden. It is one of those dioramas I always plan to build.
I love the "old" Tammy 88 kit. I have built three of them. I have the new DML kit with the Lion Roar PE set and frankly the whole thing scares the hell out of me.

Shaun
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
shaun
Hmm, a well trimmed garden - I see nice hedges and flowers if not flak towers come up.

The Tamiya kit is comfortably familiar compared to the Dragon kit. I'll have to build my Dragon offering and compare the two in actual build notes.
Thanks
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC
hi scott nice progress on your 88 mate i'm building the same kit, though i've added a couple of spares from my two dragon 88's to refine some of the tamiya details which are showing their age. but it's looking good from here mate keep up the good work. Ant
 _GOTOTOP