Tiger - a lot of "1st's"
John_D
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
Umm - "Hi"..!

As the title states - this is a bunch of "1st's" for me.. First, (pun intended ), my first thread on this site - so please be gentle

This is my first armor model ever - and the first model I've completed in forty something years - as I stopped "building models" at the ripe old age of 12 (yea - if you do the math - that makes me 52, or as my sons tell me "you are as old as dirt, Dad.."..

Well - so much for my intro and background...

Below is my Tamiya 1/48 scale Tiger with a few extra detail parts I made from scratch. I'm in the midst of starting/working on two more kits (I sort of like 1/48 so far - but - well - we'll see..)..

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to write in a thread - so if you have questions, comments - or just want to say "Hi John!" - it's all fine with me...

Anyway - here is my first build in my first thread.. And I'm thinking of making a nice Diorama out of it..?

BTW - being a lurker on this site for a while - I also wanted to say "Thank You" to all of you for sharing your "how to's" and expertise to us "lurkers".. You all are amazing..

(Pictures follow - or I hope they show up...)

milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
WELL DONE ! If only mine would turn out as good. milvehfan
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hey John, nice build, are there too many crosses though?
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi milvehfan and James!

My sincerest thanks! I really enjoyed doing this one - and have a lot to learn.. For example - the danged airbrush thingy

Anyway.. James.. I AGREE!! However - I tried to find a reference for Tiger 332 aside from the Tamiya site, as there are a lot of crosses on that kit (too many - I agree..)! However, it is what it shows in the instructions as well as on their site (take a look at the pic references/thumbnails):

Tamiya Site...

My sincerest thanks again!

John
Nightstrike
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Overall great model particularly like the tracks !!!!!
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:52 AM UTC
wow well i guess it did have that many BalkenKruze

photo
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
James..!

You are OUTSTANDING!!! What a great picture for that Diorama I was talking about in the first post..! My sincerest thanks for finding it and posting a link (err - I *think* - now my wife will wonder what I'm making a mess with plaster, a base, mud, resin and the like.. ) Oh well - she chose to marry me for better or for..

Seriously - my sincerest thanks again! A wonder find on your part!

John
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 10:50 AM UTC
No Problem John, after some poking around in my Tiger book ot no avail i went on a interweb hunt,
good luck with the dio
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
hi . first of all nice job . i only saw one thing that poped out at me that looked odd . i dont do ww 2 models but shouldnt the drive wheels be a little more "outboard " of where they are like he idle(?) wheels in the front ? i could be wrong . keep up the great work !
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
Well done and welcome to 1/48 land. Your tracks came out better than my Tiger sitting on the shelf waiting for some track repair (been planning to try the AFV club aftermarket one on it for 2 years now....lol). These kits really grow on you and I keep looking forward to the next one to explore. Good dio idea there by the way. Greg
Outerarm
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi there John, welcome to Armorama! Your Tiger has come out really well, especially as you have not built anything for a little while. Good luck with the dio and your next builds and remember to share them with us

Cheers,
Ian
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Aww - my thanks guys for the comments and support! Indeed, I did enjoy building my first tank kit ever - so much so - I ordered another 1/48 scale early Tiger (AFV) with the AFV tracks for the diorama, rather than hack this one to mimic the photo James so kindly shared. As well, I got in a Tiger modeling book in yesterdays mail I'd ordered early last week (with scads of pictures and reference material - including tank 332!!!). I can now see what many of you I'm sure saw in my first build but were kind enough not to comment on. For example, not included in the Tamiya kit - but should be modeled in would be:

Hold downs for the rear of the tow cable, engine grills, smokers for the hull, etc. Not sure how I'll work them onto the 1/48 AFV kit - but, I think it will be fun to try!

Anyway, my sincerest thanks again to all of you who took a moment to respond and for your encouragement!

John
bobman331
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC
nice but the pfifel air cleaners were often removed in the field after they were damaged.(Pfiefels were very delicate and could be put out of action by small arms fire.) BTW, is this an eastern or western front vehicle? any way, to you.
Soupy11
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hi John
I am working on the same kit and was wondering what colour you used for the hull?

Looks amazing and a real motivation!
John_D
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi Rob..!

I am so sorry for the delayed reply - I've been out of the country for four weeks - and finally home!!! Just logged in and checked this thread as well... Anyway, if it's not too late...

I used a hand mixed acrylic paint a few shades lighter than my MM "Panzer Grey"? When I first sprayed it - I was OH MY GOSH - TOO DARK!!! But - as it dried out - it settled into the color you saw and I wanted? As well - on the lower hull - I put a very light coat of darker wash and let that set before the detailing..

Anyway - my apologies again for the delayed reply! And if you more info, please just post back, OK?

Best to you!

John
 _GOTOTOP