_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Tamiya's Matilda - First Images
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
First of, my thanks to Marcus Nicholls of Tamiya`s Modeling magazine - for indicating the right direction to find these photos.They all come from the Tamiya/Plamodel Website. The Image-Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
I think if anyone needed proof that Tamiya is still a formidable player in the plastic kit industry this is it! Sure Dragon and others come up with some nice releases and interesting subjects, but I find they always fall short of the mark in terms of kits that will appeal to everyone.
This sure looks like a kit that would appeal to most modelers young and old, looks detailed enough to please the purists and simple enough for the beginners. This still seems to be an area that Tamiya have major success on-simple, easy to build kits that please everyone. If DML did this tank, sure it would have tons of details etc etc, but it would put off younger modelers and less experienced modelers.

I for one am pleased to see Tamiya still in the game, and im pretty sure this will create a lot of buzz and should sell well.
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
No expert on the Queen of the Desert but this does look good. Crew too which is always a plus.

Now wouldn't that look just dandy with a 1/35 Tilly speeding by lol, lol.

Good to see a much needed replecement for the old kit coming out. What always disappointed me about Tamiya's British range was that you got a kit and thought Woopie and then nothing ever followed it up.

They always made good builds, and still do I assume as the Char Bis got lots of cudos and I've heard great reports about it.

Happy days for the Allies.

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What always disappointed me about Tamiya's British range was that you got a kit and thought Woopie and then nothing ever followed it up.

That's true - as someone mentioned, they have done 4 updates of their F-16 in the last 18 months, but one of their armor kits got an update after 15 years...

Unless this policy has changed radically (and there's no reason to believe otherwise) there will be one Matilda from Tamiya and the AM people will have to do the conversions. Fortunately that's in good hands there are a lot of AM companies waiting for the opportunity. A Mk. IV has, unfortunately, got pretty limited utility..
JamesLast
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Nice! Looking forward
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:14 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Yes, that's such a pity, they had both the Universal Carrier and the Churchill and did little with either.

The re-release of the LRDG truck will be welcome but again they have done nothing with it that I know of, it will just cost more. Such a shame.

Still have to think on the positive side, another new British kit - great.

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
Here's one of the REAL clinchers with this kit - two types of tracks - rubber band ( ) and seperate link (like those on the Char B B1 ( )

Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:42 AM UTC
I'm glad that I've taken a fair amount of pics of the Littlefield Matilda Mk IV.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
OH MY GOD she's beautiful!
Thanks for the sneak peek Jim!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here's one of the REAL clinchers with this kit - two types of tracks - rubber band ( ) and seperate link (like those on the Char B B1 ( )

this is a nice touch i'd personally go for the seperate links the ones in the Char B were fantastic. Ant
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 02:59 PM UTC
I know a lot of people have been hoping for a better 1/35 Matilda for a long time. It's great that Tamiya has included both types of tracks, for people like me, who hate assembling individual links.
I'm not primarily a WW2 guy, but I just might have to pick one of these up. The only question is, what color scheme and markings will I choose? All I can say right now is, I'll consider anything but the North African campaign!
That leaves British and Commonwealth service in Western Europe, Australian service in the South Pacific, Soviet service on the Eastern Front, and postwar Egyptian service in al Nakba/the Israeli War for Independence as possibilities. Have I overlooked anything?
Maybe someone will produce some interesting aftermarket decals for this beast.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the report Jim !
Even considering the poor quality of the pictures, the kit looks excellent !!
The figures look interesting and the different track options are encouraging.
Cheers

jjumbo
Heatseeker64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
Looks fantastic! I will probably build one out of the box as a Brit one in the desert, but it's only a matter of time before an Aussie update kit comes out - having a dimensionally accurate model to start with will make it an easy conversion (low cupola, later track, armoured shrouds for the track, splash guards for the turret etc).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That leaves British and Commonwealth service in Western Europe, Australian service in the South Pacific, Soviet service on the Eastern Front,

Apart from a few CDLs (and i'm unsure EVEN about these) , the Matilda NEVER saw (late-War) service in NW Europe, so with this variant the other two seem the only viable prospects.

Quoted Text

having a dimensionally accurate model to start with will make it an easy conversion (low cupola, later track, armoured shrouds for the track, splash guards for the turret etc).

Unfortunately, all this is going to add considerably to the price of what isn't going to be cheap kit to start with. First to do the necessary updates/conversions will hopefully be Resicast as they've got a brilliant track-record in areas like this...
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 09:14 AM UTC
WOW!!!! You JUST made my day! I have been waiting for years for someone to do my girl Matilda proper justice!!! It should come as NO suprise to me,since my kit has been "aging " in my collection for some time now, and Iv just finished putting all the scratch upgrades on the turret when I read this post! lol...I must have kit attractant or something! My only question is: How long do we wait for release date?
taesung
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
NICE!!!!

Guy,
don't forget to pick up a set of
new Alpine Brit figs when you buy this kit!

roybatty
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 06:32 PM UTC
I'm really looking forward to this, provided I can afford it that is, any word on the price yet? I'm in Japan but haven't seen/heard anything yet.
miaonowitzki
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it's not separate, but semi-separate,like the hetzer's
wibbleman
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

it's not separate, but semi-separate,like the hetzer's

Yeah, you can see from the sprue shots that its link and length track.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 03:57 AM UTC
Great News!

Just out of curiosity: does anyone know the amount of work needed to convert it to an earlier Mk. as used with the BEF or in North Africa?

Cheers
Stef
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosity: does anyone know the amount of work needed to convert it to an earlier Mk. as used with the BEF or in North Africa?

In the latter case, they will be including parts for the Mk.III as these were used in North Africa it'll be easy.

The former is considerably more difficult. It'll need a completely new (early) hull, completel replace the suspension, replacement of details such as the BESA MG and a new set of tracks. Not terribly practical...
Tanker9
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looks good, can't wait to go Waltzing again!
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 05:46 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to doing a couple Aussy versions.
Good news on one side but hopefully some decal variations would also be coming along.
Bob
 _GOTOTOP