_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Mr. Surfacer problem
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 04:02 AM UTC
I am new to modern modeling (after some years for the Marines), and probaly the only one with miles of where I live that does so. I have come accross Mr. Surfacer 1000 and have read about problems using this product with an airbrush. I just pre built a Dragon kit for a
*Pz.Sfl.IVb 10.5 cm le.FH. 18/1 Ad.Kfz.165/1 Ausf.A (sorry I dont know the correct term, apparently a rare German Armor) and I dont want to ruin it. Can anyone please clear this up for me? Also, does anyone know of a hobby store in Germany (I'm stationed here and hoping someone knows) thanks.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Alex, I use Mr surfacer 1000 with my 0.3mm airbrush. All you have to do is to thin it with a thinner. I use Mr Leveling Thinner (400 ml bottle). It has also the retarder. Just thin it 1 portion mr surfacer 2 prtions mr levelling thinner (I also used it 1:1). I don't know any german hobbyshops nut you can buy it from Lucky Model, Hobby Easy (both based in HK) or Jadar from Poland.

spit
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 07:39 AM UTC
Spit,

Thanks a mil, here is my dilemma though, they wont ship to my military address and all I have access to is hardware store lacquer thinner, will it work or is it a bad idea???
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi Alex

If you can't get the Mr. Leveling thinner, your store-bought lacquer thinner will do as long as you go real easy on the application. I have been able to shoot Mr. Surfacer 1200 with regular lacquer thinner but in very thin layers. Too much and the thinner will want eat through the plastic.

As to using an airbush to shoot Mr. Surfacer, I've never had any problems. As long as you thin the Surfacer well enough, you can use your airbrush for shooting just as any other paint (not necessarily the case with Mr. Surfacer 500 though).

I suggest trying it on a scrap piece of styrene first to see how it goes.

HTH,

Rob
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they wont ship to my military address

not sure about it, I've sent once a package from Lucky Model to a French military base. It went through without any problems.
Send them an email and ask. Another Idea. Mr levelling thinner is in fact a thinner for acrylics (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). Why not to try any other acrylic thinner?

spit
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
Personally i would not use anybody else,s acrylics thinner. Mr. Surfacer is lacquer based. You could end up with a gooey mess. You can use lacquer thinner. They have different ranges of it though. Fast,Medium and Slow. Medium and Slow are what to look for. The problem not having the retarder agent in it can dry before it hits the model. I dont know what you are going to use for the base coat. Lots of people dont prime there models and have good results. Would hate to see you mess up your model. Krylon in the spray cans work great. Whichever way you go make sure the model is clean. I always spray mine down with Windex and rinse well. Let it dry underneath something covered. Then paint away. Hope this helps
AlxUSMC
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks a lot for all the tips...I'm going to test out all the methods with the lacquer thinner, and will keep you guys updated on my progress/fail!!
 _GOTOTOP