_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Jan Etal's DML SU85M Review
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC

Jan Etal provides a comprehensive build review of the DML SU-85M in 1/72 scale. This is Jan's first review and I hope it is not the last.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC
Great review, Jan. Thanks. It's nice to see some Braillies to get attention as well...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Fine review that allows us to see the final assembly without waiting for a build log. Good work, Rookie!!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC
Aleš, glad that you liked the review. I wanted to show not only Braillers but the community in general what can be done in a compact scale.

Bill, thanks for noticing. It means a lot to have an veteran reviewer take notice.

Cheers,
Jan
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:36 AM UTC
Nice work on the build review Jan and will echo the hopes that there will be more like this in the future. 1/72 scale is an area often overlooked but just as deserving of its place in the Reviews section.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill, thanks for noticing. It means a lot to have an veteran reviewer take notice.

Nah, just wordy! A few more like that and you'll be showing us how it's done.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Bill P. and Bill C.,

Thanks you for the comments and the interest. As it hasn't been that long since I returned to the hobby I wasn't sure that my skills were up to all the changes (challenges and enhancements) that appear in these newer kits. With this review I was hoping to reach out to those Braille scale modellers that like myself were new or returning. The newer kits, especially Dragon's can be quite intimidating when your last exposure was to Airfix, Matchbox, ESCI and the like. This was my quickest build so far taking just under two weeks.

Current project is a Dragon Tiger I. I was toying with doing an In-Box review but the turret and lower suspension are pretty much done so maybe I'll hold off and do a build review instead.

Cheers,
Jan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:47 AM UTC
Welcome to the club, Jan. Glad to have you back. I also recently returned after a long hiatus (no, I wasn't in prison). SO MUCH HAS CHANGED!!!!

My last kit before returning? The Tamiya Sd.Kfz.7 and 88mm.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
Great review!:)

Bill C you say that an awful lot!!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Just started this kit the recently and the timing of your article couldn't have been better. I read your post about the kit in the braille forum but this is so much more concise. I've already run into some of the problems you pointed out in your build. I see what you mean about the fuel tank issues. Great info and article.

Thanks,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just started this kit the recently and the timing of your article couldn't have been better. I read your post about the kit in the braille forum but this is so much more concise. I've already run into some of the problems you pointed out in your build. I see what you mean about the fuel tank issues. Great info and article.

Thanks you for the kind words. It's actually a pretty nice kit once you get over the few glitches. If you have any questions during your build, please feel free to post them under this thread.

Cheers,
tread_geek
 _GOTOTOP