_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gap filling
jallred5
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
I am building dragon's flakpanzer 38(t). There is some fit problems that need gap filler, but there are molded rivets on the model. What is a good technique that will allow me fill the gaps without removing the detail on the model? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:39 AM UTC
James,

Always a tough one to deal with...for really tight areas like that I've found that taking a wooden toothpick and gluing a small piece of Testors sanding film to it with some CA will create a handy sanding stick for tight places.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
James it might be helpful if you could post a pic of the area you're talking about. In general though, Gunze sells a product called Mr Dissolved Putty that can be brushed in to the gap and the excess cleaned up using their thinner.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building dragon's flakpanzer 38(t). There is some fit problems that need gap filler, but there are molded rivets on the model. What is a good technique that will allow me fill the gaps without removing the detail on the model? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Milliputt epoxy putty does not shrink, and can be applied and smoothed out with a wet finger tip or a damp paper towel. No sanding needed. Just remove any excess as you apply it.
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,199 posts
Armorama: 821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 01:38 PM UTC
I apply some testors putty (grey tube) to the area and wipe away a majority of excess with my finger. Then I go over it with testors liquid cement and it fills in the gaps with thinned putty and removes putty from the flat areas you dont want it on.
HTH
Evan
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hi James
wood glue/pva(Elmars) makes a good filler,apply with a paint brush ,then run a damp cotton bud over the joint while still wet ,no sanding needed
HTH
Andy
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James
wood glue/pva(Elmars) makes a good filler,apply with a paint brush ,then run a damp cotton bud over the joint while still wet ,no sanding needed
HTH
Andy

I second this, its a killer technique, since I learned it I haven't had to sand anything, if you mess it up, its easy to remove and start over, and it can even add additional stregnth to the model.

John
 _GOTOTOP