Hosted by Darren Baker
V-100 or V-150
vss
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
Are both command car used in vietnam or is the V-150 the modern version of the V-100?
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC
as far as i can see the v-150 wasn't introduced til 1971,so they may not have gone......i think a call to sabot is in order
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
Osprey Press of England has a V-100 Commando book that really does a great job of relating the history and development of the V-100/V-150 series of armored cars. There was also good coverage in one of the older "Armour in Profile" series small booklets published in the 70s. Based on those and other references, the V-100 series armored car was first introduced into Vietnam by the manufacturer, Cadillac-Gage, as a commercial sale to the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN). When the US Army determined that something more substantial than jeeps were required for convoy security, they noticed the armored cars that the ARVNs were using and acquired several on a trial basis. They XM-701 (V-100) armored car was then adopted for use as a military police/security vehicle. A varient was used by the US Air Force for airfield security; this version had no turret, but an open top with folding armor panels to close the top if required.

Try to find the Osprey book, it was released last year and should be available from any major book retailer.

Hope this helps!

Jim Peterson
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:44 AM UTC
This is not my area of expertise, but I recommend the RP Hunnicutt book Armored Cars the History of American Armored Cars. Got a nice picture of the new LAV III Stryker on the cover. Destined to become the bible for US armored vehicles. Get it now at $50+ before it becomes an OOP $100+ book.
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi VSS,
The V100 was the initial prototype of which samples were sent to Vietnam. End users were in contact with Cadilac-Gage suggesting improvements. The results of which produced the XM706. Further improvements were added and the vehicle was accepted as the m706. During all phases except the initial prototype, the vehicle was field- fitted with either a twin-MG cupola or an open top "MG nest with several hard-points to mount a variety of weapons.
The development of the V150 was an improvement based on the lessons learned in Vietnam, but were not available until afterward.
Hope this helps!
Chuck :-)
 _GOTOTOP